Colonel Hugh White /
Colonel John Chatham

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Lock Haven, PA



Home

About Us

Events

Membership

NSDAR

PSSDAR

Contact Us


About the Colonel Hugh White/Colonel John Chatham Chapter:

The Colonel Hugh White Chapter was founded January 19, 1895, by a group of thirteen local women and chartered April 25, 1895. Originally called “Eagle,” the chapter changed the name in recognition of the services performed by Colonel Hugh White, an ancestor of one of the chapter members, Mrs. Torrence C. Hipple. Colonel White, born in Dauphin County in 1737, settled west of the mouth of Pine Creek before the Revolutionary War. Commissioned a Captain in 1776 of a “Company of Foot Soldiers in the 1st Battalion of Associations in the County of Northumberland” he proved to be a valuable officer in Washington’s Army and was advanced to the rank of Colonel.

During the month of October 1921, Mrs. Marie Chatham Philips held a meeting at the Cedars near McElhattan for the purpose of organizing a DAR chapter. Fourteen women in the area were eligible for membership, and on July 29, 1922, met at Mrs. Philip’s home to organize. Most members were descendants of Colonel John Chatham for whom the chapter was named. However, none joined on his record, but traced their lines to Brigadier General John Philip DeHaas. The chapter was chartered on August 1, 1923. Colonel John Chatham served in the Revolutionary War, listed under the 7th Company, one of eight companies in the 2nd Battalion, Northumberland County Militia.

These two chapters merged April 17, 1995, to be known as Colonel Hugh White/Colonel John Chatham Chapter DAR located in Lock Haven, Clinton County, PA.

Contact Us




Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.