News and Events at the Clark House
- Beginning October 13, 2004, the Society will be closed Monday, and open
Tuesday through Saturday. We hope to see you at the Clark House!
- Internet Genealogy 101 Class
- Our first Internet Genealogy 101
class will be offered on April 4, 2001 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. here in
Indiana, PA. The course will be held in a computer classroom and you'll
learn resources and techniques for genealogical research on the Internet
including major sites, and Indiana County and Pennsylvania sites. Some of
the course material will be based upon the information we receive in the
applications. Applications are available at the Clark House, and will also
be included in the next Newsletter. Fees are a modest $15.00 for members of
the Society and $20.00 for non-members. Space is limited, so please register
early. Looking forward to seeing you there!
- New Clark House Gift Items
- We have a lovely selection of new, seasonal gift shop items available
for a limited time. All have the Clark House picture imprinted on them.
Sales tax is not included in these prices. All items are gift boxed. Shipping and handling costs are extra. Call or stop by and see these beautiful items. Wonderful holiday gifts for anyone.
- Book sales at the Armory
- We're now having great book sales at the Armory on the last Friday of
every month. Please come and browse the wide selection of gently used books
we have available for sale, there's something to please everyone from
current novels to historical works, to books on flower arranging, sheet
music, children's books, and much more. Our book sales rely on your
donations, so please feel free to bring by your used books in good condition
to add to our book sale inventory (sorry, no magazines, please!). While
you're shopping, please stop over at the Clark House and view some of the
newer items we have for sale, including some books on the Indian and
Colonial-era history of our area, and the reprints we have of the Beer's
Atlas of Indiana County from 1871 and Stewart's 1913 History of
Indiana County in two volumes. We also feature a number of the Cat's
Meow pieces, and some lovely artwork and craftwork by several of our local
artists. We hope to see you soon!
- Deed to the Armory
- On Veterans' Day, the deed to the
Old National Guard
Armory, adjacent to the Clark House, was presented to the Society by
Senator Patrick Stapleton. His presentation was part of our open house at
the Armory and our recognition and remembrance of veterans from Indiana
County and elsewhere. We'll soon have some photos up of the Armory and the
Veterans' Day activities. (added 11/99)
- Reprints available!
- The reprint of Stewart's 1913 Indiana County
History is now available for purchase. Also available at the end of
the month should be Beers 1871 Atlas of Indiana County.
Check our list of
Items Available for Purchase for prices and purchasing information.
- New books in our inventory
- We've added several wonderful new books to our inventory:
For more information on each of these, visit our list of
for Purchase, or stop by to browse through these books and many more
items we have on sale! (added 11/99)
- Golden Glow of Christmas
- Held on December 9-10, the Golden Glow of Christmas event was a
resounding success. The Armory and the Clark House were decorated in fine
Victorian style, refreshments were tasty, and the tree and wreath entries
were fantastic. Thanks to everyone who attended and of course to everyone
who helped in setting things up (and putting them away again!). A wonderful
addition to the holiday season.
- St. Patrick's Day Events at the Clark House!
- Our St. Patrick's Day week of events were a great success. We're pleased
to announce the following winners:
Thanks to everyone who entered our raffles, and thanks to everyone who came and helped us celebrate the week and eat all of the food! We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. (updated 4/2000)
- Home Again - Brady Reunion 2000
Date: June 30 through July 2, 2000 Place: Old Brady Homestead, Hopewell Twp., Cumberland Co., Pa. Contact: Donna Cuillard, Reunion Chair E-mail: email@example.com Address: 6273 Anastasia Ave., Simi Valley, CA 96063 Phone: (805) 522-3828
- Kittanning Expedition 2000
- Lane Savage and Bill Wood are organizing a recreation of Col. John Armstrong's march to raid the Delaware Indian town of Kittanning in September 1756. Their route takes them through Indiana County, and we expect some of our members will be interested in joining them and/or visiting with them. For more information, see the flyer in the next issue of Clark House News, or visit the website for The Kittanning Expedition 2000. (added 11/99)