This page will list additions and changes made to the Historical and Genealogical Society website. The newest changes will be at the top of the list. Check back frequently to see what's new.
January 23, 2013
- Replaced the surname listings on the web pages with files updated to information received as of 2012. There are now over 26,000 surnames in the historical society's surname files.
October 13, 2011
- The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County is happy to
welcome three new
- Mystic Brooke Development, L.P.
- Britt Energies, Inc.
- Christine Marie Exploration, L.P
For more information on becoming a business or corporate sponsor, please see our sponsorship page.
October 5, 2011
- Added a list of duplicate yearbooks that are for sale, $5 each. See the list here.
September 17, 2011
- Added a "Make a cash donation via PayPal" link
- Added pages: Museum Collections and Quilt Collections
September 8, 2011
- Updated the book catalog
August 16, 2011
- Added memoriam to the late Clarence Stephenson
July 28, 2011
- Added two new books to the book catalog: Obituary Abstracts From Indiana County Newspapers, 1894 thru 1900 compiled by D. S. Leathers and Drummer Boy, Isaiah Van Horn Revolutionary War Veteran and Pioneer of Indiana County, PA by J. Derald Morgan, Ph D., PE.
May 2, 2011
September 29, 2010
- Added information about donating items to the Historical Society and included a copy of the Deed of Gift form on the Membership page and changed the menu link to "Membership and Donations."
September 1, 2010
August 31, 2010
- Removed broken links (Congressman John Murtha's Tourism in Pennsylvania's 12th District) and updated changed links on Other Links of Local Interest page. Added link and page for Indiana University of Pennsylvania Yearbooks.
August 24, 2010
- Added a link to the listing of the Historical Society's family bible collection to the Bible Collection page. The list gives the family name of bibles in the collection and the number of images of each bible (in .pdf format).
July 29, 2010
- Revised the book store page (moved the book catalog table to separate page) and added a new page for sale of old and antique miscellaneous items not related to Indiana County history.
June 30, 2010
- Added recent historical society events and photos on the News page
June 10, 2010
- Added a web page about the Society's adoption of the Pennsylvania History Bill of Rights
April 13, 2010
- Added a link to the Official Website of the Blairsville Underground Railroad, Passport to Freedom, Blairsville, PA, on Other Websites of Interest page and the Other Links of Local Interest page
March 15, 2010
- Added .pdf versions of newly published brochures:
-- Historical & Genealogical Society and Historical Museum (2 mb)
-- A Walking Tour of Indiana's Historical Sixth Street (2 mb)
-- Underground Railroad Walking Tour: Indiana Sixth Street and East (2 mb)
February 19, 2010
- Updated the News page
February 12, 2010
- Added new Clark House News articles
February 3, 2010
- Added link to Indiana County Immigration and Naturalization Index Database - 1800s to present
October 20, 2009
- Updated Events page with information about Autumn Book Sales.
October 8, 2009
- Added a link to a website featuring information about the town of Saltsburg, PA, on the Indiana towns web page.
September 25, 2009
- The Society's
is now available on the Internet. To get started, follow the link below.
See more information on the Library page.
- The Historical Society has changed its email address (to email@example.com) and mailing address (to 621 Wayne Avenue, Indiana, PA 15701-3072). The new mailing address is the actual location of the building the society moved to in 2003 from the Silas Clark House.
September 10, 2009
- Updated Events page with World War I exhibit information.
July 29, 2009
June 29, 2009
- Updated Business Sponsors page
June 8, 2009
February 16, 2009
- Updated Events page.
Moved older surname query requests to archived queries page
December 15, 2008
November 1, 2008
- Updated lists of surnames A through K for which information is available in the Society's surname files
October 6, 2008
September 2, 2008
- Added a web page about the sale of veteran memorial pavers.
August 15, 2008
- Updated the Events page, including a new web page about the Covered Bridge festival on September 27, 2008
April 4, 2008
March 25, 2008
- Added a link to the web page Bituminous Coal Mines & Coal Company Patch Towns of Indiana County to the Other Links of Local Interest page
March 19, 2008
- Added a new web page with links to research about Indiana County towns
February 10, 2008
- Added information about new photographic exhibit, Indiana County’s Greatest Generation to Events page
November 2, 2007
- Revised the navigation menu by creating two links, one for Events and one for Historical Society News, to replace the News and Events link used previously
October 24, 2007
- Updated Other Websites of Interest web page
October 18, 2007
- Updated historical markers web pages
October 11, 2007
- Added information about Historical Marker to be Dedicated in Clymer on
October to News and Events page
October 2, 2007
- Added new map to
The 1856 Peelor Map of Indiana County
A publication of the Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County, PA
Completed in 1856 by David Peelor this is one of the earliest maps of the county to show any detail. Along with the names of the landowners and the location of their property, it also identifies private dwellings, churches, schoolhouses, mills, stores and shops. The original map measures 41 by 52 inches and was done in three colors.
The map has been digitally reproduced and each page of this book is comprised of an individual map of one of the twenty townships or seven boroughs in existence during that period.
Compiled by D. S. Leathers. Soft cover, 8 1/2 X 11, printed in the original colors and indexed. $19.95 plus $2.00 shipping. Please allow two weeks for delivery.
August 30, 2007
- Changed surname query submissions from automatic posting to email posting to control spamming.
- Added link to The Political Graveyard - Indiana County page, a site that lists about 5,000 cemeteries where politicians are known to have been buried, on the Other Links of Local Interest page
- Added a link to The North Hills Genealogists on the Other Websites of Interest page
- Updated Sitemap
August 21, 2007
- Updated Corporate/Business sponsors page
- Added link to images of Indiana County Warrant Register Pages, 1733-1957, on the Local Resources page
- Corrected Surname query page problem
- Updated Sitemap
August 9, 2007
- Added information about a
RESCUE OF RICHARD NEWMAN, 1858
Diamond Days, August 17-18-19, 2007
July 18, 2007
- New from our Book Store
Added book to book store page
From this day forward: Marriages from Indiana
County Newspapers & Related Sources, 1830 thru 1869
A publication of the Historical & Genealogical Society
of Indiana County, PA
Over 1,700 marriages extracted from nine Indiana County newspapers covering the years 1830 through 1869. Information usually includes names and residence of the couple, date and place of marriage, and name of the officiating clergyman. Compiled by D. S. Leathers. Soft cover, 98 pages, indexed.
$13.99 plus $2.00 shipping. Please send check or money order made out to H&GSIC and allow two weeks for delivery.
- Added What's New? page to site menu
- Changed color of mouse over highlighting
July 8, 2007
- To create more visible links, revised style sheet to add dotted underlines to links
July 2, 2007
- Added page to list business members of the Historical Society www.rootsweb.com/~paicgs/bus_members.shtml
- Added page to list main headings for the subject files maintained in the library www.rootsweb.com/~paicgs/subjectfiles.shtml
- Added link to the Library page for the subject files and removed
- Added article and photo about Peg Ruddock to online April-May 2007
- Updated Sitemap page, to add new links to the new pages for business
members & subject file list
- Added link to home page for the What's New? page
- Added this page -- What's New?
May-June 2007 - Website redesign