History of Indiana County
Indiana County was created on March 30, 1803 from parts of Westmoreland and Lycoming Counties and probably named for the Territory of Indiana. Read a mini-history from the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. See also the free book resources about Indian History on the right, under Indiana County Resources.
Indiana County History Books - available on-line, for free
- Extensive Indiana County Record Collection
- Joshua Thompson Stewart, Indiana County, Pennsylvania; Her People, Past and Present, Embracing a History of the County, Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co, 1862,
Volume 1 (906 pages, 79mb)
Volume 2 (872 pages, 68mb)
- John Alexander Caldwell, 1745-1880 History of Indiana County, Penn'a, Newark, Ohio, 1888
- Samuel T. Wiley, Biological and Historical Cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania.
Philadelpha, John M Gresham & Co, 1891
- J Milton Snyder, Pastor, History of the Brush Valley Evangelical Lutheran Church, Indiana County, PA, 1901
Two good sources for historical Indiana County books are the Internet Archive and Google Books. Especially useful is this List of Indiana County, PA, books from Google Books. There is also an Extensive Indiana County Record Collection from ldsgenealogy.com.