Book Indian Mound
From Mifflintown, take SR 3002 [Old Rt. 22] towards Mexico. Turn right at the intersection of Rt. 75 and drive south/west through Port Royal. Look for Academia signs. At the Spruce Hill Lunch, the road forks, Rt. 75 is the left fork and SR 3013 is the right fork. Take the right fork SR 3013. Drive approximately 1.5-2 miles to the stop sign, intersection of SR 3013 and SR 3008. Turn left and drive 1.4 miles, turning left at SR 3019. Drive 0.4 miles; the Indian Mound is in the field on the right. A marker placed there in 1929 states “here lie the remains of twenty-six Indians excavated by the Pennsylvania Historical Commission”
In 2002, no visual evidence remains of this Brubaker family cemetery located outside of Walnut. In 1974 [from Historical Society documents], several of the stones were found along the edge of the field or were buried “under shale at the edge”. The cemetery was still enclosed by a woven wire fence with a top wooden rail and was about 10 feet x 20 feet and held as many as a dozen graves. Shortly after this visit, the cemetery stones were removed from the site and “dumped in a limestone quarry”.
Lower Tuscarora (Academia) Presbyterian Cemetery
One of the older cemeteries in a beautiful county setting. From Mifflintown, take SR 3002 (Old Rt. 22) towards Mexico. Turn right at intersection of Rt. 75 driving south about 5 miles (through Port Royal). Look for Academia signs. At the Spruce Hill Lunch, the road forks, Rt. 75 is the left fork, SR 3013 is the right fork. Take the right fork SR 3013. Drive approximately 1.5 - 2 miles to stop sign, intersection of SR 3013 and SR 3008. Turn left. Go very short distance turn right onto SR 3015. At next stop sign (Tuscarora Academy on the left) intersection of SR 3015 and SR 3017 turn left, cross the road and drive up the hill Church and cemetery are together on the hill.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church Cemetery
The original Church built of logs was dedicated in 1835. The present brick building was erected in 1876. The Cemetery surrounding the church dates from about 1835. The Church and Cemetery are located on Route 35 about 9 miles south of Mifflintown
Schwarey Family Cemetery – Amish
This enclosed family cemetery, about 21 ft x 42 ft., is said to contain about 30 graves. Most of the stones marking sites are of native stone and are not engraved; most grave-sites are not marked. The earliest engraved stone [death date] is dated 1849 and the latest engraved stone is dated 1867. Surnames include Zook, Hartzler, Schwarery, Schmuker, Yoder and Hostetler. The Swarey family of the Belleville-Allenville area in Mifflin County visits the graveyard annually for mowing and maintenance.
Some cemetery transcriptions are available online at the Juniata Co PAGenWeb site.
All written content and photos ©2001-2009
Juniata County Historical Society, all rights reserved.