society home page
Cemetery Directions and Photographs
Brown Burial Plot
No visual evidence remains of this little burial spot that contained the body of a stillborn infant who was never named and whose grave never had a marker. According to information from the Frymoyer family the infant was buried in the middle 1860's and that she was a sister to Jerome, Keturah, Carrie and Emma Brown. The child was born in the "dead of winter and was buried in a spot back of the wagon shed and at the northwestern corner of an area used for a time for vegetable gardening". At the time the Brown family was snowbound and unable to get out to a graveyard. The grave has since been destroyed in the course of changing or repairing the township road. 
 Brown Burial Plot File
Bunkertown or Goodwill Church of the Brethren Cemetery
Take Route 35 North/east towards McAlisterville. Drive through Oakland Mills, McAlisterville and Bunkertown. The cemetery is 0.4 miles beyond the Bunkertown ‘town’ sign. The cemetery will be on the left side of the road. There is an overhead iron ‘Goodwill’ sign that sits in stone abutments that serve as an entryway to the lane leading to the cemetery. Turn left and drive 0.1 miles up the driveway to the cemetery on the crest of the hill.
Cocolamus Church of the Brethren or Brown’s Cemetery
“Cocolamus is a settlement at the forks of the heads of the stream” [Cocolamus Creek]. William McAlister, who obtained a patent in 1790 for the land intended to lay out a town, but it was not done. It has been the site of many small businesses including a fulling mill, tannery, a store, hotel, and a post office. The United Brethren built a frame church near the place in 1884”. 
Take Route 35 North/east through Oakland Mills, McAlisterville and Bunkertown. Just beyond the East Juniata High School turn right on SR 2013. Drive 0.6 miles. Cemetery is on the left.
 History Of That Part Of The Susquehanna And Juniata Valleys Embraced In The Counties Of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union And Snyder In The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania
Volume I, Philadelphia, Everts, Peck & Richards, 1886, page 846.
Hillside Lutheran Cemetery - McAlisterville
Take Route 35 North/east towards McAlisterville. After passing through the town center [traffic light - intersection with Rt. 235] drive 0.4 mile further. The cemetery is on the right side of the road.
Koons – Kuhns Family Cemetery
John Brubaker who owned the land in the early 1800’s apparently started this cemetery. In 1806 he and his wife Frances sold 150 acres of the farm to their son John Jr. and his wife Eve. The cemetery was included in this 150-acre parcel. In 1816, John Brubaker Jr. sold the land to Peter Kuhns. Peter’s son John, before his death in 1913, bequeathed $1,000 for the erection of a stone wall to replace the wooden post and wire fence. The wall was built by stone masons John Carney of Bunkertown, John Smedley and William Peck. Stone was hauled by horse and wagon from Rempfer Hollow on Shade Mountain. Wages at that time were $1.00 per day and the wall was completed shortly before the money ran out.
After the erection of the wall, the Shelley family, who are descendants began to restore the cemetery. Scrub undergrowth, weeds, and briars were removed and stone markers were straightened. As often the case, a cedar tree had sprung up causing one stone marker to fall over. In the course of straightening the heavy tombstone the marker slid into the grave and was lost. 
Johannes Schallenberger, the pioneer immigrant and clockmaker is believed by some descendants to be buried in the Koons Cemetery. Johannes was living with his son David at the time of his death. David Schallenberger is buried here with his wife Barbara Eyer.
Take Route 35 North/east through Oakland Mills, McAlisterville and Bunkertown. Just before leaving Bunkertown, heading north/east, turn left onto T458 [Bunkertown Road]. This road lies just past the ‘old’ Bunkertown Church of the Brethren. After turning left drive past the new Church of the Brethren building. The cemetery is on the right and has an iron arch KOONS sign in concrete pillars marking the entrance.
 This information was provided in 1974 by a Shelley Family member.
Kreider - Crider Family Cemetery
According to Historical Society information obtained in 1969 from the Weaver family, owners of the farm on which it is located, this cemetery contains perhaps a dozen graves, with possibly three of them being adults. Only one individual is identified: Mary Kreider who was 20-40 years of age and died about 1820. This was perhaps a Mennonite Cemetery. 
 Kreider-Crider Family Cemetery File
Lost Creek Mennonite Church and Cemetery
From Mifflintown take Route 35 North/east towards the village of Oakland Mills. Just past the 'Oakland Mills' sign noting the entrance to the village turn right onto SR 2007. There is a sign for the church on the left. Drive 1.3 miles, the church and cemetery are on the right side of the road.
Lost Creek Presbyterian Cemetery
Take Route 35 North/east towards McAlisterville. Before reaching the town turn right on Musser Road [a road sign on left] which is just past a restaurant called Beary’s Place. The cemetery is 0.3 miles further on the left.
The Myers – Meiers – Leonard Family Cemetery
This cemetery was started by the Myers family and is located on a hill, on the south side of Route 35, a-straddle the line formerly dividing the farms of the Myers and Leonard Families.
The cemetery, begun by the Myers Family, was apparently expanded and extended across the line between the two farms by Sam Leonard. Ruben Leonard, who is buried there, was the owner of the farm on which the Lost Creek Golf Course was built. Ruben Leonard set aside money in his will for a stone wall to enclose the cemetery. Some of the stones may have been used at a later date for the foundation of a nearby house.
According to 1970’s documentation there are two distinct areas to the cemetery. One is approximately 17 ft. x 9 ft. and contains four graves and the other is 63 ft. x 42 ft. and contains 24 graves. At the time this inventory was taken there were engraved tombstones present, though the cemetery was described as in poor condition.
From Mifflintown square take Route 35 North/east towards McAlisterville driving approximately 6.4 miles. Turn right into the first farm lane after passing TR 662 [Leonard Rd.], approximately 6.4 miles from Mifflintown square. This cemetery is on private property. Permission and further directions must be obtained before proceeding.
The cemetery was visited in 2003; it was completely overgrown and access to gravestones was impossible.
The Purdy-Sturgeon Family Cemetery
No visual evidence remains of this family burial plot that lies just ‘inside’ the Fayette Township line on farmland owned, in 1969, by a Mennonite farmer. It was located at the intersection of Route 35 and SR1002, near the crest of the hill, on the north side, in the field west of SR 1002. [This road leads to Pine Grove Church] The cemetery lay north and west of the barn, and directly above the highway bridge that spans the creek.
According to an interview with a McAlisterville resident, conducted in 1969, this cemetery is the final resting place for perhaps as many as twenty early settler families, namely Purdy’s, Sturgeon’s, Sharon’s and Anderson’s, all from the vicinity of Jericho Mills. The History of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valley’s lists individuals with those names as being settlers of the Jericho area. It was James Purdy who built the original gristmill, which stood about one hundred and fifty yards south of the site of the present  mill.
The burial plot may have been fifty to sixty feet square, which was a common size for this area of Juniata County. In 1879, the McAlisterville resident’s father worked as a hired hand for Jacob Gayman [Gehman] a Mennonite preacher and an earlier owner of the farm. He related to his son that when the field was plowed in the area of the cemetery, careful efforts were made to avoid disturbing the stone markers. These stones, which were of native rock, were unmarked and over time, they gradually gave way and were eventually removed. The cemetery is now part of the cultivated field.
In an interview with a former owner of the farm, this gentleman related that he had various conversations with a descendant of George Wilson, of the Wilson estates in Walnut, who related that as young boy he often visited this farm with his parents who were friends with George McCulloch, yet an earlier owner of the farm. McCulloch, an officer in the Civil War, at the end of fighting returned to the farm near Oakland Mills, bringing with him two Blacks, evidently former slaves. When these two Blacks died, they were buried in the plot at the highest point on the hill.
He also related that around the years 1941-1942, one night at a very late hour, he happened upon two men from the Lewistown area who were attempting to open two of the graves, with the purpose of robbing the remains of any valuables. Their efforts were foiled with the threat of exposure to the County Sheriff. 
 Purdy-Sturgeon Cemetery file
St. John’s United Methodist Church and Cemetery
Take Route 35 North/east through Oakland Mills, McAlisterville and Bunkertown. Just after the East Juniata High School turn left onto T558 [Whitehall Rd.] follow this road for 0.8 miles over a one-lane bridge. At the intersection with T543 [Redbank Rd.] bear left and continue on Whitehall Rd. Church and cemetery are just ahead. The church has a parking lot.
Smith Family Cemetery
In 1969, this cemetery was located on the farm of Glen Apple. The cemetery survey documented 19 graves site though only seven had any type of engraved information. Though this cemetery is named for the Smith family several Longnecker family members are buried there as well. The cemetery was approximately 43 ft. x 29 ft. in size. 
Take Route 35 North/east towards McAlisterville. 1.1 miles past East Juniata High School turn left onto T470 [Apples Road]. Stop at first farm.
 Smith Family Cemetery File
Smith - Auker - Hostetler Family Cemetery
This Mennonite family cemetery, surveyed in the 1970's, contained 11 graves with engraved tombstones. The earliest death was recorded in 1852, the latest in 1899. It was 24 ft x 6 ft.
The approximate location of the cemetery was along Rt. 35 in Fayette
Township between SR 1005 and T452. 
 Smith-Auker Cemetery File
Trinity Lutheran Church Burials
There are 7 individuals buried beneath the ground floor of the Lutheran Church in McAlisterville, PA. Of the five tombs with engraved stones, burial year's range between 1840 and 1858. 
Take Route 35 North/east through Oakland Mills to McAlisterville for a
distance of 6.4 miles. Trinity Lutheran Church, a red brick building, is in town, on the right side, before the traffic light.
 Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery File
Some cemetery transcriptions are available online at the Juniata Co PAGenWeb site.
All written content and photos ©2001-2009
Juniata County Historical Society, all rights reserved.