society home page
Cemetery Directions and Photographs
East Waterford Cemetery
This cemetery is located on the outskirts of the village of East Waterford in Tuscarora Township, approximately 21 miles from Mifflintown. Take Route 75 south through Port Royal, Old Port, Spruce Hill, and Honey Grove to East Waterford. At the center of the village, turn right onto SR 3018
and drive 0.5 miles. Entrance to Cemetery is on the left and is marked with an metal sign.
Farmer's Grove, Church of the Brethren Church and Cemetery
Take 75 south/west through Port Royal, Old Port and Spruce Hill traveling about 13 miles. Turn a sharp left onto SR 3006, Mountain Road. Follow this road for approximately 0.3 miles. The Church and Cemetery are on the left.
Hazel M. Palm Burial Site
The birth of Hazel M. Palm was recorded at the Juniata County Courthouse, as October 9 1900, Tuscarora Twp. She was buried in the front yard of the home of Lloyd Sheets on Rt. 35, Tuscarora Township at the front south corner of the house because of extreme bad weather and lack of money. The date of her death is not known.
 Hazel M. Palm Burial Site File
This cemetery is located about 1 mile from
the center of McCoysville on SR 3014. McCoysville is located in Tuscarora Twp. Take Route 35 south/west through Mifflin, Walnut, Nook. At SR 3021 turn left and follow to the center of village. Turn left onto
SR 3014 (intersection, center of village) and follow approximately 1 mile. Cemetery on the right.
Middle Tuscarora Presbyterian Cemetery
From Mifflintown, take SR 3002 (Old Rt 22) towards Mexico. Turn right at intersection of Rt. 75(flashing light) driving south abt. 15 miles. At Rt 850 turn right and follow the signs for McCulloch's Mill. Cemetery will be on the right.
Old Jimmy Cummings Place Cemetery
Picture taken summer 2003, approximate location of cemetery would be to the right of the road.
The exact location of this burial ground is not known today but it was probably a family cemetery, its location known as the “Old Jimmy Cummings Place”. His father was reportedly Joseph Cummings. There were six or more graves, with field stone markers; the cemetery size being about 8’ x 20’. In 1975 when the cemetery was visited the edge of it along the road had been bulldozed. The site was opposite the Tuscarora Township dump. 
From Mifflintown square, head east on SR 3002 [old Rte. 22]. At the blinking traffic light turn right onto Rt. 75 south driving through Port Royal and on to the village of Honey Grove, a total distance of 15 miles. Turn right on to Rt. 850 at Honey Grove. At TR387 [Willow Run Road] turn left. After driving a short distance, at a ‘Y’ in the road take the left side [paved, probably Gloss Road TR305, but unmarked]. Follow this road until reaching TR3113 [East Waterford Road]. Turn right onto East Waterford Rd and drive 3/10 of a mile to the gate of the Medhia Shooting Preserve. At this point the land is private property. The cemetery was approximately 170 yards through the gate to a point on the left of the road where [in 1970] trees began.
 Old Jimmy Cummings Place Cemetery File
Pannebaker - Pennebaker Family Cemetery
“. . . William Pannebaker [a name often spelled Pennypacker], whose son Samuel resides on it.”
“On this place there is an old grave-yard, in which one James Lippencott was buried in 1797. In later years a number of the Pannebaker family have been interred here.” 
From Mifflintown square, head east on SR 3002 [old Rte. 22]. At the blinking traffic light turn right onto Rt. 75 south driving through Port Royal and on to the village of Honey Grove, a total distance of 15 miles. Turn right on to Rt. 850 at Honey Grove and drive .4 miles to TR 309 [Burnt Church Rd.] This road is unpaved. Drive 1.0 miles to the farm lane on the right, “Hancock Lane”. Turn right down the lane. The position of the cemetery was on the right hand side, approximately .4 miles down the lane in the pasture.
The stones markers have been removed from their bases and are stacked in the in the field along the side of the lane. To help further identify the location of the cemetery, look for two utility poles marked Penn Edison Co. These poles are in the pasture and the numbers cannot be seen from the lane. In 1971, when the cemetery was described, the following was noted: “Two utility poles marked Penn Edison Co help to pinpoint the cemetery. From the pole numbered #9-7034, 60 + or – yards measured north will establish the south end of the burial plot, and 33 + or – yards measured south from the pole #9-7035 will establish the north end of the plot. The cemetery is approximately 30’ x 80’ in width and length and lies close to the edge of the bank along the lane. There were three rows of graves at one time, and a conservative estimate would place the number of burials at fifteen to twenty. The cemetery was part of the farmstead which was named “Belmore Plantation.” 
 History Of That Part OF The Susquehanna And Juniata Valleys Embraced In The Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union And Snyder In The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania, Volume I, Everts, Peck & Richards, Philadelphia, 1886, pg. 743
 Pennebaker Family Cemetery File
Robison – Crawford Burial Ground
“Jonathan Robison, one hundred and forty-eight acres, May 4, 1775; now Mrs. Dr. S. B. Crawford. On this tract there is a small burial ground.” 
 History Of That Part OF The Susquehanna And Juniata Valleys Embraced In The Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union And Snyder In The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania, Volume I, Everts, Peck & Richards, Philadelphia, 1886, pg. 746
Some cemetery transcriptions are available online at the Juniata Co PAGenWeb site.
All written content and photos ©2001-2009
Juniata County Historical Society, all rights reserved.