Hyde Park/Washburn Cemetery

Hyde Park Cemetery (the official name, but also known as Washburn Street or Welsh Cemetery)
1915 Washburn Street, Scranton, PA. 570-346-2216
Pictures are from the fall of 2001. The gate is to the right and the sign below along the fence near it.
Click picture below to enlarge
Avondale Mine Disaster Sign in Washburn Cemetery
Avondale Mine Disaster
Here in the Washburn Cemetery lie the
remains of 61 of the 110 victims of the
September 6, 1869, Avondale Mine
disaster in Plymouth Township, Luzerne
County. The miners, most of whom were
of Welsh descent, were interred on
September 9, 1869.
Dedicated October 1, 1994
National Welsh-American Foundation
Sefydliad Cenedlaethol Cymru America

History of Washburn Street Cemetery

What is now known as the Washburn Street Cemetery was established in the early years of the settlement of the borough of Hyde Park as a public burial ground on lands (as best as I can figure out) originally owned by the Fellows family, separate from their family burying grounds. The Hyde Park Cemetery Association was incorporated in 1862. In its first expansion, an additional 5 acres of ground were purchased from Thomas Phillips and wife of Providence with the deed recorded on Sept. 1, 1865, for $3000. Many obituaries, death notices, and official documents will reference it as Hyde Park cemetery prior to the 1890's. This was often confused with the Hyde Park Catholic cemetery at the end of W. Gibson St. (now Oram St.), and known after 1898 as Cathedral Cemetery.

A cemetery known as the New Cambria Cemetery, operated by the Cambria Cemetery Company, opened adjacent to Washburn Street in 1900. It was located on Washburn St. where South Grant Ave. joined. By 1903 it was absorbed into the association which then became known as the "Hyde Park, Cambria and Washburn Street Cemeteries Company". The cemetery is located at 1515 Washburn St., Scranton, PA.

Among the early interments on this plot were 69 victims of the Sept. 9, 1869, Avondale disaster, a mine breaker which caught fire just south of Plymouth, PA; 17 of these names are identified in the source one LDS list. Up until the 1930's an entrance existed on the east side of the cemetery from Filmore street. As with many other cemeteries, ownership has changed hands several times, additional land purchased for expansion, and problems have resulted from some of these changes - lack of maintenance is but one. Official records are held by the offices of the Rader Insurance Co., Scranton, and are organized by plot owner. This office also handles Abington Hills and Shady Lane cemeteries.

Click the image to enlarge the ariel view and section plan for Washburn Street Cemetery. It is based on a hand drawn sketch made from a visit to the office over a Google map. It can be used to get a rough idea where each section should be.

Thanks to Richard Reese for providing this 2008 history update. Photographs provided by Ralph W. Robinson, II, 2001.
From these pages are linked listings of internments in Washburn Cemetery from various sources. So that the sources may be sited separately, and so that they can be added to on these web pages, they are being listed individually. Each list may contain duplicates of another source, but they will serve as a confirmation of the information. 

To Washburn Cemetery LDS 1940

To Washburn Cemetery LDS 1946

To Washburn Cemetery Burial From Other Sources By Richard Reese, February 2008

To Washburn Cemetery Contributions From Tom Price

To Jeffrey L. Thomas' Washburn Street Cemetery Page - with Gravestone Photographs

Back To Cemetery Index

Cemetery Address List

Forest Hill Cemetery Database

Return to Lackawanna County PAGenWeb Home Page

This information is made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Lackawanna County, PAGenWeb Project.