LackawannaLackawanna County Obituaries

Listed in chronological order

Scranton Republican Newspaper 1886 Obituary Index


Record of the Times, Wilkes Barre, Luzerne Co., PA, Friday morning, 3/12/1880

Plymouth Items

The funeral of Mrs. Banford (sic), of Providence, will take place this Friday forenoon at the M. E. Church. The interment will take place in Plymouth cemetery. Mrs. Banford was ill a long time and was a sister of Henry and John Lee (sic) of this town.

The Weekly Star (A Plymouth Newspaper), March 18, 1880

Mrs. Thomas Banford (sic), of Providence, was buried at the new Plymouth cemetery on Friday. Deceased was a sister of Henry and John Lees, of this place.

Transcribed and provided by Barbara Kembel Jenkins, 2002

From the Scranton Republican, Monday August 8, 1881


John SAULTRY, a miner employed in Jermyn's Green Ridge Colliery, was killed on Saturday morning about ten o'clock by a fall of roof. He was about 50 years of age and leaves a large family. He was a member of the Father Mathew Society and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. His death was instantaneous, many tons of rock falling upon him. The Coroner was notified and Dr. Leet will make an investigation tomorrow. The funeral of the unfortunate man will be attended this afternoon at two o'clock from his late residence near Enos T. Flynn's store, Providence.

Transcribed and provided by Bob Nugent, 2000
From the Scranton Weekly Republican, October 15, 1884

Death of Pulaski Carter

Mr. Pulaski Carter, of the Capouse Works, Providence, died at his home on Monday morning, aged 71 years. He was born in Connecticut and came to Providence in 1840. He started the first ax and scythe factory in the State of Pennsylvania in old Providence township while Scranton was known as Slocum Hollow; Dunmore as Bucktown, and Providence as Razorville, and all together did not contain 500 inhabitants.

He was a most successful business man, and he soon established himself throughout the country as one of the most honorable and square dealing men found anywhere. Carter’s axes and scythes yet enjoy a reputation superior to any manufacturing concern within the State. He warranted all the goods he sold in the various counties, and everywhere and time his word was his bond, which no man ever questioned or doubted. Those who knew him best say he never said a thing that was false or did a thing that was mean during his long life in Providence. He never made an enemy or lost a friend. He belonged to no church, and believed in none of the creeds of the day, but his sense of morality took a higher standard than any man they ever knew.

He was a most zealous, earnest, uncompromising temperance advocate, who, with Calvin Parsons of Wilkes Barre, and J. R. Fordham, of Scranton, founded a triumvirate of co-workers whose zeal never abated or altered. He never drank a glass of liquor, or took a chew or smoke of tobacco in his life. He began life with small means; but long before his death acquired more than a competency.

The immediate cause of his death was ureimic (?) poison, but the remote cause was an injury he received eight years ago by a collision of wagons driven by two Scott farmers.

He leaves a wife and three children, and Mr. Kenedy [sic], who married his only daughter, will carry on the business as before.

The death of such a man will leave the world sadder and poorer than it was before.

Transcribed and provided by Susan Carter White Pieroth 1998

From the Scranton Weekly Republican March 11, 1885


Transcribed and provided by Susan Carter White Pieroth

From the Wilkes Barre Record on October 28, 1889

A MURDER IN SCRANTON.  A Saloon Keeper Stabbed by a Hungarian and dies in Five Minutes.  Scranton. Oct. 27 [ Special].  Jacob Sunday was stabbed and killed here at 10 o'clock to-night by one of two Hungarians, it is not certain which.  Sunday was the proprietor of a Hotel on Washington Avenue, and the Hungarians were drinking in his place.  It is alleged that Sunday tried to put them out, when one drew a stiletto and stabbed him in the right lung.  He died in five minutes of internal hemorrhages.  One of the Hungarians was captured and lodged in the station house.  He is a strapping fellow, 22 years old, and gave his name as Martin Lisco.  He was identified by Sunday's son.  The other Hun escaped.  Sunday has lived in Scranton 30 years, and has always borne a good reputation.  The affair created no little excitement in the southern part of the city, where it occurred.  [NOTE: Name is usually Sontag or Sonntag;; anglicized by later generations to Sunday]

From The Weekly, week of Oct 30, 1889

STABBED IN HIS OWN HOUSE.  Jacob Soontag [Sontag/Sonntag] assassinated by a Hun.  The Murderer is arrested.  A shocking Sunday evening crime on Scranton Flats – The foul deed done with a pocket knife which is recovered by the police – particulars of the stabbing.  Jacob Soontag, proprietor of a restaurant at 118 South Washington Avenue, was murdered by three Hungarians to whom he refused entrance to his place, at 9:45 o’clock Sunday night.  Mr. Soontag, his wife and son Henry, a lad of fifteen, were seated in an apartment just back of the bar room when steps were heard outside and soon a knock was heard upon the door.  No attention was paid to it as both Mr. and Mrs. Soontag surmised that it was made by drunken Hungarians in quest of beer.  Soon the knocking became violent, and as Mr. Soontag still refused to go to the door, it was broken open and three swarthy Huns appeared upon the threshold.  Mr. Soontag ran to the door to keep them out, when one of them drew an ugly looking knife and stabbed him in the right breast.  Without a groan he fell forward upon his face and down three steps which have to be ascended to reach the room.  The Huns took to their heels while Mrs. Soontag ran from the house screaming for help.  In a few seconds several neighbors arrived, picked Soontag up from where he lay upon the steps and carried him into the sitting room, where he was placed upon a couch.  Several ran for Dr. Gallagher, while others gave chase to the Hungarians.  Soontag died in fifteen minutes.  Deceased was aged 55 years and was well known throughout the city and county.  He was more generally called Sunday and that is the name by which his children go.  He is survived by a wife, five sons and two daughters, as follows: Jacob J. and Edward, who are proprietors of grocery stores, Charles, William, Henry, Louisa, and Mrs. C.M. Zitzleman.  He has kept a saloon upon South Washington Avenue over a dozen years.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

Mrs. Pulaski Carter dies 1898

From the Scranton Tribune, December 10, 1898)

     Another of the early residents of Scranton has passed away. Mrs. Olive Ingalls Carter, widow of the late Pulaski Carter, of the Capouse Works, died at the family residence at 8:30 o’clock Thursday evening (December 8, 1898). She was born in Cantabury, Windham County, Conn., November 13, 1819. She was the daughter of Marvin and Amelia Spaulding Ingalls, both of Puritan ancestry. She was married to Pulaski Carter August 3, 1843. Her entire married life was spent in this city. She has been an invalid for nearly thirty years, so that her quiet life of patient suffering has been known to few outside her intimate friends. She was a woman of unusual strength of character and intellect. During the earlier years of her residence here, she was well known and greatly beloved by those in the vicinity in which she lived, for her many acts of kindness and sympathy to the needy and distressed. She was from early girlhood a member of the Christian church, being a charter member of the church of that denomination in North Scranton.  She is survived by her three children, Pulaski P. and Marvin P, Carter and Mrs. William Moore, of this city. The funeral services will take place at 2 o’clock Monday afternoon (December 12, 1898).

Transcribed by Rudolph Kunz

From the Scranton Republican, December 9, 1898

Had Been Ill Several Days at Her Home.

Mrs. Pulaski Carter, widow of the late Pulaski Carter, died at her home on Parker street last evening at 8:30 o’clock.

Mrs. Carter had been ill several days.

From the Scranton Republican, December 10, 1898


Another of the early residents of Scranton has passed away. Mrs. Olive Ingalls Carter, widow of the late Pulaski Carter, of the Capouse Works, died at the family residence at 8:30 o’clock Thursday evening. She was born in Cantabury [sic], Windham county, Conn., November 18, 1819. She was the daughter of Marvin and Amelia Spaulding Ingalls, both of Puritan ancestry. She was married to Pulaski Carter August 3, 1843. Her entire married life was spent in this city. She has been an invalid for nearly thirty years, so that her quiet life of patient suffering has been known to few outside her intimate friends. She was a woman of unusual strength of character and intellect. During the earlier years of her residence here, she was well known and greatly beloved by those in the vicinity in which she lived, for her many acts of kindness and sympathy to the needy and distressed. She was from early girlhood a member of the Christian church, being a charter member of the church of that denomination in North Scranton. She is survived by her three children, Pulaski P. and Marvin P. Carter and Mrs. W. D. Kennedy, of Green Ridge. A brother and sister also survive her, Walter A. Ingalls, of Norwich, Conn., and Mrs. William Moore, of this city. The funeral services will take place at 2 o’clock Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Louisa Kester, of Prospect avenue, died yesterday afternoon at her home from the effects of a paralytic stroke she suffered Thursday. Mrs. Kesler [sic] was 68 years of age and is survived by the following daughters: Miss Lena Kester, Mrs. Peter Bohr, Mrs. Peter Weber, Mrs. Jacob Michely, Mrs. Nicholas Kester and Mrs. William Smoth.

Michael Kolb died at his residence, 15 Beech street, yesterday at 1 o'clock from a long siege of asthma. He was 54 years of age and a man of many admirable traits. The many who knew him entertained for him the deepest respect. His wife, two sons and a daughter survive.

Mrs. Margaret Daly, wife of Patrick Daly, died Thursday afternoon at the family residence, 2524 Birney avenue, aged 40 years. She is survived by a husband, four children and one brother, Thomas Walsh.

Patrick J. Rogan died at his residence at Elk Lake, Susquehanna county, Thursday night. He was a former resident of North Scranton. Interment will be made in Auburn cemetery.

Hattie, the 14-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schnell, died yesterday at the residence, 435 North Ninth street. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment in Washington avenue cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Susan Carter White Pieroth

From Times Leader, February 25, 1901

D. W. Kembel
Well Known Resident of Plains Dies Suddenly.

Daniel W. Kembel, of Plains, died at his home this morning about five o'clock.  He had been sick for a long while, but his death came very unexpectedly.  Mr. Kembel had lived in Plains only a short time, having moved there from Parsons April 1, 1900.  He had lived in Parsons for thirty years.

Mr. Kembel had a very good war record.  On Aug. 19, 1861, he enlisted at Allentown, in company C, 47th Pennsylvania volunteers which company was sent to Washington, D.C., and from there to Arlington Heights, then to Key West, Florida, where they were stationed in the Gulf Squadron.  He was in the following engagements: Hilton Head, Port Royal, Beaufort, and Pocataligo; did provost duty at Key West for one year and was then sent on the Red River expedition, where he was at the battles of Pleasant Hill, Sabine Cross Roads and Alexandria, was on the march to Appalachee Bay, and was at the capture of Fort Finegan.  He then sent to Washington and served under Gen. Sheridan throughout his Shenandoah raid, was discharged at Berryville, Va., Sept. 19, 1864, his term of enlistment having expired.

He is survived by his wife; Arthur, of Wilkes-Barre; Mrs. Herbert Doland, of Parsons; Mrs. Wm. J. Morgans, of Parsons; Mrs. Chas. Brader, of Plains; and Elmer, at home.

Mr. Kembel was outside superintendent at Laurel Run mine for twenty-five years.  He was a member of P.O.S. of A., No.623, at Parsons.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

From the Times Leader, February 28, 1901


The funeral of D. W. Kimbel {sic} was held yesterday from his late home. Rev. Mr. Hartsock conducted the services and was assisted by Rev. Mr. Russell, of Hudson, and Rev. D.W. Thomas, of Pittston.  The pall bearers were Merritt Harding, Mr. Downing, Seymore Stucker, Joseph Elston, Charles Behler, and Thomas Williams.  A quartet composed of Kathryn Wilcox, Mrs. Edmund Egge. Mrs. L.W. Miller and B.A. Brader sang three selections.  The floral tributes were handsome, among them: mound of roses from adult children, bouquet from son Elmer, wreath from the P.O.S. of A., of Parsons, and a wreath from Mrs. Scott Dawson and family.  William Hilbert and Peter Hines were flower bearers.  The P.O.S. of A. attended in a body.  Among those from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Simpson, of Scranton, and Mrs. Scott Dawson, of Wilkes-Barre.  Interment was in the City Cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Barbara Kembel Jenkins

From the Scranton Republican, June 4, 1902

Priceburg News

The pall of mourning hangs heavily over our little village on account of the expected return of the bodies of William and James Thorp and William Morse, who left here about ten weeks ago for a mining district in British Columbia, where they were killed in a gas explosion on the evening of May 22 last.

Buoyant and happy they bid farewell to their mothers, wives and children less than three months ago to go to a land far from home, where Dame Fortune extended to them the hand of welcome in their chosen profession. But, how much different their return than the going away. The warm blood of affection and love which was mutual at their departure is chilled and they are brought to their once happy homes cold and silent in death and their bodies will be consigned to Mother Earth, the common mother of all and through the portals of the body’s prison house the loved ones left behind will watch them placed in the windowless chamber of rest.

William and James Thorp were aged 20 and 23 years, respectively. Both were sons of Mr. and Mrs. William Thorp of this village. William resided at home, while James was married and besides his parents, four brothers and one sister he is survived by his widow and one child. Morse was 29 years of age and besides his mother and two brothers he is survived by his widow and two children. The remains as they are being brought home are accompanied by Joseph Thorp, a brother of the dead men, but who was not at work at the time of the explosion. The remains of James Wilson of Dunmore, who was also killed, will arrive at the same time.

A few days ago letters were received from the three young men which contained sums of money for their respective families. These letters were dated May 19, just three days before their death.

Upon the arrival of the remains of the three men here they will be taken in charge by Undertaker Frank Blickens of this place, but at this writing it will be impossible to state when the funerals will be held. William and James Thorp will be place in one grave and interment will be made in Priceburg cemetery. William Morse will be buried in the same cemetery, but his funeral will be in charge of the Olyphant order of Red Men, of which he was a member.

Rev. W. Bath of Priceburg P. M Church and Rev. Weiscoppf of the Priceburg German Church will be the officiating clergymen.

The people of this village are pleased to speak of the three young men whose lives were ended in such a shocking manner, in the highest terms, and the sympathy of all is extended to the bereaved parents, wives, and children in this, their sore affliction.

From the Scranton Republican, June 5, 1902

Priceburg News

The remains of James and William Thorp and Williaml Morse, the three young men from this village, who were killed in the horrible mine explosion at Fernie British Columbia, on the evening of May 22 last, arrived in this village at 10:30 o’clock yesterday forenoon. Nearly the entire population of the village assembled at the depot and the scene was one never to be forgotten. The grief of the parents wives and chldren of the dead afforded a pitiful sight and many eyes were dimmed by tears in sincere sympath for those who were so suddenly called to mourn. The remains were taken to the undertaking rooms of Frank Blickens and later to the respective homes.

As was stated in The Republican yesterday, Joseph Thorp, a brother of James and William Thorp, who was also at work in one of the mines at Fernie, accompanied the remains, as he also did the remains of James Wilson of Dunmore, who was killed at the same time.

Joseph Thorp was seen by the Republican reporter yesterday, to whom he gave an extended account of the epxlosion and the work of taking from the mines the 130 bodies of men and boys who were killed. He said in part: "The explosion occurred shortly after 7 o’clock on the evening of the 22nd of May last. The mine is located some distance from the village and is known as the Twin mine or Nos. 2 and 3. At the time of the explosion there were about 167 men and boys at work in the two places and of that number only 17 escaped alive, one of whom was Hugh Moyehan, of Dunmore. The 17 were at work in a drift farthest from NO.2, where the explosion occurred. The mine shafts start at the base of a mountain, and therefore are very dry, and the explosion was what is called a dust and gas explosion. This is considered much more dangerous than the explosion of gas in a damp mine, for those who are not killed by the explosion are smothered by the dust."

"Immediately after the explosion occurred a rescuing party was organized, but we were able to enter the mine but a short distance from the fact of the accumulated gas. The covering to the air shaft had been destroyed together with all other air passages, and it was the following day before any of the bodies were brought out. On the following morning thirty bodies were recovered in about two hours but the work of recovering the other bodies was rendered more difficult as the center and remote sections of the mines were reached. The remains of my two brothers and Wilson were not taken from the mines until the afternoon of the 27th."

James R. Wilson, of Dunmore, and the father of the James Wilson who was killed was one of the foremen in the mines. Some time ago his two foster sons, John and Harry Wilson went to Fernie. About one month ago John died and was buried at that place. Harry was killed at the time of the explosion, and instead of his remains being brought home, were buried by the side of his brother.

Mr. Thorp, in speaking of the positions in which his brothers were found, said: "My two brothers were found in what is called room 13. James was found at the opening of the room, while William was back along the road, and when the explosion came was in the act of making a charge of powder. In his left hand he held a fragment of paper, which was a part of a Sunday School leaflet. James Wilson and William Morse were found in room No. 12, each with his arms about the other’s neck."

While Mr. Thorp was speaking of the fragment of paper found in the hands of his brother, William, he exhibited the same, which he had carefully preserved. The paper was black and considerably mutilated, except for a small part which was protected in the center of his hand. On one side of the fragment of paper was the Epworth League study of May 4.

Mr. Thorp stated that he experienced much difficulty while en route for home on account of snow blockades and landslides which greatly impede travel at this time of the year. During the night of the 27th snow fell to a depth of over two feet.

The funeral services over the three dead men will be held this afternoon at 2 o’clock. The funeral services of James Wilson, of Dunmore, will be held at the same time.

Mr. Thorp states that he will return to Fernie in a few days. When asked in regard to the condition of the mine, he stated that the mine was one of the best in that section of the country, but that it would be about five months before all parts of the colliery could be repaired and the work of mining coal continued.

Transcribed and provided by Gayle Thorpe Baar

From the Scranton Times, Sept. 8, 1902

Death of Rev. P.F. Zizlemann; heart disease attacks the patriarch of Lutheranism in Scranton.  Sketch of his busy career.  Rev. Philip Frederick Zizzlemann died at his home, 1532 Mulberry Street, yesterday morning.  Heart disease was the cause of his death.  The end came suddenly and somewhat unexpectedly.  Rev. Zizlemann was for forty years pastor of the Zion Lutheran Church on Mifflin avenue.  He resigned from the pastorate on October 1 last.  He was the father of the Lutheran congregations in this city.  The beginning of the end of Rev. Zizlemann’s career occurred on April 18 last.  While going to make a call he suffered a fainting spell while walking along the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western tracks near the old rolling mill.  He suffered injuries then from which he never fully recovered.  He has been failing rapidly of late...At 9:45 o’clock last Saturday night he retired, after laying out his clothes for Sunday.  At 7 o’clock yesterday morning he was found dead in bed. His first charge here was a small congregation which assembled in the old hall in the Monies and Pughe building, corner of Washington and Lackawanna avenues.  Mr. Zizlemann was born in Kleeborn [Cleebronn] near Stuttgart, Weurtemberg, Germany, on October 10, 1824, his parents being Christian and Anna Elizabeth (Kranich).  His father was a soldier in the Napoleonic wars and fought against Napoleon at Waterloo…he attended the University of Basel in Switzerland.  After completing his studies there, he was ordained to the office of a gospel minister at Loerach, Baden, in 1851.  He was sent by the church authorities of his native province as a missionary. Landing at Galveston, Texas, in 1951, after a voyage of forty-nine days, he plunged into the work of a pioneer missionary on the outskirts of civilization.  He labored for ten years, most successful in Texas, establishing congregations and building churches at San Antonio and Fredericksburg…While at Fredericksburg, he was married to Miss Christiana Barbara Schloterbeck, a native of Weurtemberg…Leaving Texas in the spring of 1860 with his young wife he went to New York, broken in health by his pioneer labors.  He was soon called by the authorities of the Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania to look after the interests of the Lutheran church in this section…He organized Zion church May 18, 1860…He was the father of seven children, of whom three, Frederick W., Charles M. and Theodora [this should be Theodore] E., all residents of Scranton, survive him.  His wife died May 25, 1901. [NOTE: The German spelling of the surname was usually Zizelmann; some later generations changed it to Zitzelman.]

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Republican, Thursday, August 18, 1904


A North End Pioneer Who Died on Tuesday.

Nathaniel Wells Benjamin, who died in the North End on Tuesday, at the age of seventy-five years, was one of the oldest settlers of that section of the city. He built the corner stores in connection with the late Ambrose Mulley, nearly fifty years ago.

Transcribed and provided by Garthe Leland Benjamin

From the Scranton Republican, August 23, 1904

Rev. R. S. Jones Dead
Passed Away at His Home on Edna Avenue

Shortly before noon yesterday, Rev. R. S. Jones, pastor of the Welsh Congregational Church of Providence died at his home on Edna Avenue. His death came as a result of a hemorrhage with which he was seized last Friday morning while standing in the post office.

On Saturday he had rallied but yesterday his condition became alarming. In all the churches of Providence prayers were offered for his recovery.

Rev. R. S. Jones was born in Fare, Glamorganshire, South Wales, Sixty two years ago. Since 1870 he has been the pastor of the Providence Congregational church, coming directly from Wales to take charge.

Within late years the congregation became so large that it was found necessary to build a new church. The corner stone of the proposed building was laid last Wednesday.

Besides his wife the Rev. Mr. Jones is survived by the following children: T. M. Jones, of Orange, NJ; D. E. Jones of this city; Emylin of Oberlyn College, Ohio; Miss Elizabeth D. Winsor JOnes, Elvet, and Benjamin of this city. The funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

Transcribed and provided by Gayle Thorpe Baar


Scranton Times, December 2, 1904

Thomas Bamford, of Edna Avenue, died yesterday morning, aged 73 years. He was born in England and came to this country about forty-one years ago and resided in North Scranton for thirty-nine years. He was a member of the Primitive Methodist church, and was admired for his piety and strict integrity. He is survived by the following children:  Henry, John and Mrs. E. L. Benjamin. Funeral services will be  held at his late residence, 2039 Edna Avenue, this evening at 7 o'clock. The remains will be taken to Plymouth on Saturday morning on the 10:10 Delaware, Lackawanna & Western train where services will be held in the Primitive Methodist church.

Wilkes Barre Record, Saturday, Dec. 3, 1904

Thomas Bamford, a former resident of this town, died at his home in Scranton on Thursday morning of paralysis of the heart. He was about 73 years of age. He was a brother-in-law of John and Henry Lees of this place. The remains will be brought here for interment, arriving on the 11:05 D, L & W train, and will be laid beside those of his wife in Shawnee Cemetery.

Wilkes Barre Record, Monday, Dec. 5, 1904


The remains of Thomas Bamford of Providence, a former respected resident, were brought here on Saturday forenoon and taken to the Second Primitive Methodist Church, were services were conducted by the pastor, Rev. J. G. Ward, assisted by Revs. Acornley, Russell and Cook. A number of friends in carriages met the remains at the depot. The casket was covered with several bouquets and floral designs. The pallbearers were: Alonzo Whitney, John Durbin, W. E. Howland, W. I. Hershberger, Charles Edwards and C. W. Mains. Interment was made in the Shawnee Cemetery. Deceased resided in Providence for a number of years where he was a mine foreman.

Transcribed and provided by Barbara Kembel Jenkins, 2002

From the Scranton Times, March 22, 1907

Adam Robinson died early yesterday morning at his home on Church street, Dunmore, after an illness of only a few days' duration.  On Sunday evening he was suddenly taken very ill and this soon developed into an acute attack of pneumonia.  The deceased was born in Scotland seventy-four years ago, and, during the past forty-five years of his life, he had been a resident of Dunmore. [NOTE: the surname here should really be Robertson]

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Republican, August 30, 1908

Robinson [again, this should be Robertson].  In Scranton Pa., Aug. 28, 1908, Margaret Robinson, aged 68 years, at 116 Church Street.  Funeral Monday at 2 p.m.  Burial in Dunmore Cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Times, January 18, 1911


Silas Hoyle, aged 81 years, who had the distinction of having worked for one company, the Delaware and Hudson, for seventy years without interruption, died yesterday at the State Hospital after an illness that began last Thursday.  The funeral will be held at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Carrie A. Walter, of 519 Mulberry St.  Interment will be in Honesdale.  Mr. Hoyle was born in Cornwall, England on November 28, 1830, and he came to this country with his parents when he was four years of age, the family settling near Honesdale.  The age of nine found him driving horses for the Delaware and Hudson.  When engines came in, young Hoyle was given charge of the plant at the number three plane, just this side of Honesdale and he ran this engine from 1866 to 1899, a period of 33 years.  During more recent years, and after leaving the engine at Plane number 2, Mr. Hoyle was employed as a gateman by the company, with a station near Honesdale.  He retired four years ago.  Mr. Hoyle, on January 13, 1854, married Julia Jessup Hudson, a member of another well-known family of this region.  She died in 1902.  The surviving family consists of: Mrs. Edith M. Simons, of Blackfoot, Idaho, Vera Hoyle and Mrs. Carrie A. Walter of this city, Horace H. Hoyle and Ambrose W. Hoyle of Carbondale, and Willington R. Hoyle of Canada.  Another daughter, Harriet Hoyle, died some years ago.  Mrs. H.R. Smith of Smith Place is a granddaughter of the deceased.

Transcribed and provided by Jean McNamara

From the Tribune-Republican on Thursday, 9 February 1911, page 11.


  1. The funeral of Frederick WESTPFAHL, of 1414 Elm St., will take place at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the residence.  Interment will be in Forest Hill cemetery.
  2. The funeral of Charles Philip WARREN, of 802 Marion street, will take place at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon from the residence.  Green Ridge lodge of Masons will be in charge of services at the graveside in Dunmore cemetery.
  3. The funeral of Joseph GANTZ of 958 Elm St. will take place at 9 o'clock this morning, with services in St. mary's church.   Interment will be in No. 5 cemetery.
  4. The funeral of Ruth WARREN, daughter of Mr. and mrs. Ulrich Warren of 807 Maple street, will take place at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.  Interment will be in Washburn Street cemetery.
  5. The funeral of Mrs. William EVANS of 133 South Everett avenue will take place this afternoon from the residence.  Interment will be in Washburn Street cemetery.
  6. The funeral of John LYNCH of 529 Wilber street, will take place this morning, with services in the Polish Catholic church.  Interment will take place in Prospect cemetery.
  1. NEARY--In Old Forge, Feb. 8, 1911, Miss Annie NEARY.  The funeral will take place tomorrow morning with services in St. Lawrence church.
  2. PETRY--In New Mexico, Feb. 6, 1911, Frederick PETRY, aged thirty-nine years, formerly of South Scranton.
  3. LAW--In Taylor, Feb. 8, 1911, Mrs. George Law, aged fifty-four years.
  4. RUSSELL--In Duryea, Feb. 8, 1911, Mrs. Charles A. RUSSELL, aged thirty-four years.
  5. KAISER--In Scranton, PA, Feb. 8, 1911, Peter KAISER, aged twenty five years of 812 Hampton St.
  6. SUMMERS--Ind Dickson City, PA, Feb 8, 1911, Mrs. John SUMMERS, aged forty-one years, of South Main St. Dickson.  (her name was Katherine, born HEBLER)
  7. REGAN--In Scranton, PA., Feb. 8, 1911, John REGAN, aged seventy years of 1803 Brick Ave., Funeral at 10 o'clock Saturday morning with services in Holy Rosary church. Interment will be in Cathedral cemetery.
  8. WARD--In Dunmore, Pa, Feb. 8, 1911, Miss Mary WARD of 31 Spring Street.
  9. GRIFFITHS--In New York, Feb. 5, 1911, Morgan GRIFFITHS, formerly of Wilkes-Barre and Miners's Mills, aged forty years.
  10. JONES--In Edwardsville, Feb 7, 1911, Samuel JONES, of pneumonia, aged forty-eight years.
  11. LANGAN--In Lackawanna, N.Y., Feb 8, 1911, Marion LANGAN, aged seven years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John D. Langan, formerly of this city.
  12. CARPENTER--in Brookville, Pa, Miss Mlanche CARPENTER, formerly of Uniondale.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

Obituaries for JULIA KEMBEL:



At the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles A. Brader, 75 Abbott Street, Plains, occurred the death yesterday morning of Mrs. Julia Kemble {sic}, aged 66 years, after three months' illness.  She is survived by the following children:  T. A. Kembel, Mrs. Herbert Doland, Mrs. William J. Morgans and Elmer of Parsons, and Mrs. Charlesw A. Brader, of Plains; also the following sisters:  Mrs. Abe Simpson, of Scranton, Mrs. Sarah Feaster and Mrs. Joseph Ditchfield of Treverton.  She was a member of the M. E. church of Parsons.

The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 from the home of Charles A. Brader, with interment in the City cemetery.
Those wishing to view the remains will have the opportunity on Wednesday between the hours of 10 and 1:30.



The funeral of Mrs. Julia Kimbel {sic} took place from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Brader, Abbott street, Plains, and was largely attended.  The services were in charge of  Rev. Lathrope of Parsons, assisted by Rev. J. M. Eckhart, of Scranton, also Rev.S. N. Bailey of Plains, Rev. Williams of Parsons and Rev. Thomas of Pittston.  Mrs. Edgar Anderson of Parsons sang several solos.  The casket was surrounded with beautiful floral tributes.

Those who carried flowers were William Kimbel {sic}, Raymond Morgans and Russell Doland.  The pallbearers were: William Hilburt, Sr., Edmund Egge, Thomas Richardson, William Keats, Henry Willoughby and Ervan Hague.  Interment was in City Cemetery.

Transcription of her grandmother's obituaries provided by Barbara Jenkins

From the Scranton Times, Wednesday 12 June 1912, Page 3.
  1. Arthur P. Tuthill, died yesterday at his home, 815 Quincy avenue, aged fifty years.  He is survived by his wife, his father, Daniel Tuthill, and his sister, Mr. Gorton Chase, both of La Plume., and a brother, Veron Tuthill of this city.  Mr. Tuthill was born in Uniondale.  He was a member of Grace Reformed Episcopal church. Interment in Dunmore cemetery.
  2. William R. Reese, aged eigthy-two years of Plymouth, father of Dan R. Reese, general attorney for the Lackwanna coal department, died yesterday. Mr. Reese is survived by three sons; Dan R., of this city; David J., former member of the state legislature; and John Reese of Plymouth and by three daughters, Mrs. William Davis; Mrs. John S. Jones and Mrs. James W. Lloyd of Plymouth.  There survive also sixteen grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
  3. The funeral of Michale McNulty was held from the family residence, 3507 North Main avenue, yesterday. Mass by  Rev. T Geraghty, pastor of St. Thomas church in Dickson City. Interment in the Olyphant cemetery.  The pall-beareres:  Patrick McNulty, James McNulty, Patrick Moran, Peter Schofield, Michael Gibbons and John Reilly.
  4. Benjamin F. Brodhead, died yestereday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. S. C. Brodhead at Delaware Water Gap, aged eighty-one years, five months and ten days.  He was the last of a family of eight brothers of Monroe county.  He was a school teacher in his early manhood, a general storekeeper, and postmaster at the Water Gap twelve years.  He was a member of the Church of the Mountay (Presbyterian) at Water Gap.  His survivors are as follows:  His life, Emily Rachel Brodhead, and these children:  Mrs. Oscar Staples, of teh Gap, Mrs. George W. Meredity, of Atlantic City, N.J.; Mrs. Thomas C. Brodhead, Delaware Gap; Mrs . H. Voorhees of Sc ranton; Mr.s T. H. Wright of Lansdown' and Frank A. Brodhead of Atnaltic City. Interment in the Water Gap cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price 

From the Scranton Times, July 19, 1913

The funeral of John Christian took place yesterday, with a high mass of requiem in St. Mary's German Catholic church at 9 o'clock.  Rev. Peter Christ was celebrant of the mass. Interment was in No. 5 cemetery.  Father Obermeier, of St. Mary's church, read the services for the dead at the grave.  The deceased was a member of the different church societies, and of the Typographical union, No. 112.  The pallbearers were chosen from the union and the church societies:  Mathias Andrews, William Janssen,  Henry Crockenberg, Albert Diselrosderger, Michael Sporer and Joseph Weinshank.  The flower-carriers were Joseph Lambert and Henry Schull.

The funeral of Peter Stautt took place yesterday with a high mass of requiem in St. Mary's German Catholic church on River street.  Rev. Peter Christ was the celebrant.  Interment was made in No. 5 cemetery.  The pallbearers were George Gardner,  Fred Sherer, Albert Eurs, Joseph Wilezynski, Charles Sherer and John Fletcher.

Henry P.Smith, of 117 Williams street, Dunmore, died early last night at his home.  He was sixty-four years old.   Deceased had been in poor health for years, but was able to get around until three weeks ago, when he was stricken with paralysis.   Mr. Smith is survived by the following children:  Robert,  Henry, Laura, Mrs. Anna Robinson and Mrs. Minnie Webber.  The funeral will take place Monday with services at the house.

The funeral of Clement Wunderland, of Maple street, will take place tomorrow afternoon.  Interment will be made in Dunmore cemetery. Friends are requested to omit flowers.  The funeral will be private.

The funeral of Mrs. Charlotte Hertzog took place yesterday afternoon, from the home of the deceased, 1039 Stafford  avenue.   Services were conducted at 2:30 p. m., at the house, by the Rev. C.F. Flack.  The remains were interred in Forest Hill cemetery.
The pallbearers were:  Joseph Phillips, John Phillips, John Deltz, Severn Reidle, Henry Dotkey and Fred Hurst.

The funeral of Frederick W. Weichel was held yesterday afternoon with services at the house.  Rev. L. R. Foster, of the First German Presbyterian church officiated.   Interment was in Pittston Avenue cemetery.   The pallbearers were:  Steven Simonson,  Fred Eckle, Robert Straub, Charles Straub, George Straub, William Dimler.  The flower-carriers were Abraham Weichel, Jr., and John Straub.

The funeral of Philip Weber was held yesterday afternoon from the home, 827 Paul street,  Dunmore.  Rev. E.A. Martin, of the M. E. church, officiating.  Interment was made in the Dunmore cemetery.  The pallbearers were: J.W. Berghauser,  Christian Camin, O. S. Ridgeway, A. P. Pierce, Edward Edwards and Fred Wellner.  George Harper was flower-bearer.

Mrs. Elizabeth Duckrod, sixty-six years old, died at her home on Main street, Dickson City, last night.  Deceased resided there for many years, and was a highly esteemed resident.  She is survived by the following sons and daughters:  John, Joseph, William, Gus and George, and Mrs. Elizabeth Birke and Mrs. Anna Thomas.
Transcribed and provided by Ralph W. Robinson, II

From the Scranton Times Mon February 22, 1915

Mrs. Margaret O'Connor 82 died at 442 New St. Scranton. She was born in County Sligo, Ireland 1833 daughter of Edward and Ann Donegan. Came to the US in 1851 joining her father who preceded her and had established a home in Hawley, PA. On March 3, 1856 she married John O'Connor who owned a farm at Plane Nr 18 of the Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad in Salem (now Lake) Township in Wayne County. Mr. O'Connor died in February 1863 leaving 3 children. Mrs. O'Connor remained at Plane 18 until April 1868 when she sold the farm and moved to Scranton where she had once lived. She made her home on Eynon St until 1889 when she moved to New St. She was a very active member of St. Peter's Cathedral organizations. She left two sons- James telegraph editor of the Scranton Times and Edward a boilermaker of New York. a daughter Sarah a teacher at Williard School also a brother James Donegan of Scranton. Services conducted at St. Peter's Cathedral. Her body was then transported by train for burial with her husband in Hawley Catholic cemetery (Queen of Peace-formerly St. Philomenia).

Transcribed and provided by Walton J. Sullivan

From the Scranton Republican, May 30, 1917

Following a two week illness, Methuselah M. Jones, seventy-three, died on Monday evening at his home, 514 Leggett Street. The deceased was one of the pioneer residents of North Scranton, having resided there for forty years.

Surviving are the following children: Mrs. James Mackey, Mrs. John Evans, Ann, Elizabeth and Thomas M. Jones.

From the Scranton Republican, June 1, 1917

Funeral of Methuselah Jones, 514 Leggett Street, services today at 2:30 PM Interment Washburn Street.

Funeral of Mrs. Mary E. Mackie, 2217 N. Main Avenue, 2:30 tomorrow, Interment Dunmore Cemetery.

From the Scranton Republican, June 2, 1917

Funeral of Methuselah Jones

From his late home, 514 Leggett Street, the funeral of Methuselah Jones, was held yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. The attendance of the services by scores of friends and relatives testified to the esteem in which the deceased, one of North Scranton’s older residents, was held. Covering the casket were numerous floral pieces, while others were born by Misses Alice Jones, Mary Mackey, Evelyn Evans and Margaret Jones.

Following the services at the house, which were in charge of Rev. Ivor T. Williams of the Dr. Jones Memorial Congregational Church, the cortege proceeded to the Washburn Street Cemetery, where burial was made. The casket bearers were John Evans, Harvey White, John Lewis, J. J. Evans, James Alexander and Samuel Evans.

Transcribed and provided by Gayle Thorpe Baar

Obituaries from the Scranton Times on Friday, 16 November, 1917 on page 28.
  1. Stephen CLEARY, 60 years old, a well known resident of South Scranton, died last night at the family residence, corner of Prospect Avenue and Cherry St.  He is survived by two brothers, John and Andrew Cleary, and one sister, Mrs. John Walsh of Minooka.
  2. Mrs. Thomas REESE, of 1219 Division St., died at her home early last evening following a brief illness.  She is survived by her husband and several children.  The funeral will be held on Sunday afternoon with services at the home at 3 o'clock in charge of Rev. W. R. Edwards of the Tabernacle Congregational Church.  Burial will be made in the family plot in the Washburn St. Cemetery.
  3. The funeral of Mrs. Kathryn HEALEY, of 3220 Oak St. Minooka will be held from her late home at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning, with services in St. Joseph's Church, followed by interment in St. Joseph's Cemetery.

From the Scranton Times on Saturday, 16 November, 1917 on page 7:
  1. Edward, aged sixteen months son of Squire and Mrs. P.J. MCHALE of Salem St., Archbald died last evening.  Besides his parents, he is survived by two brothers, Charles and John.  The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock with interment in St. Thomas' Cemetery.
  2. The death of Evelyn, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. N. EVERTS occurred in Dover, NJ on November 9.  She was aged four years, none months and fourteen days.  The remains were brought to Clarks Green for interment.
  3. Lafayette DECKER, 83 years old, died last evening at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred Aldrich of 1015 Ash St., North Avoca.  He had lived in Avoca for many years and for years had been an engineer on the old Pennsylvania Gravity Railroad.  He is survived by three sons, namely, Andrew of Moosic; John and Lafayette, Jr. both of Pittsburgh; also by two daughters Mrs. Fred Aldrich and Mrs. Frank Hollenbeck of Pittston.  The funeral will be held on Sunday Afternoon at 1 o'clock from the home of Mrs. Fred Aldrich, with services in the Methodist Church of Moosic.  Interment will be made in the Marcy Cemetery.
  4. Robert STEWART, aged 26 years, son of Mr. and mrs. Robert Steward of 532 Pear ST. died yesterday morning at his home, 907 Ridge St., East Scranton. Besides his parents, he is survived by his wife and two sons, Allen and Robert.  He was a member of the Improved Order of Red Men.  The funeral will take place from the residence tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. E. E. Flack officiating.  Burial will be made in the Dunmore cemetery.
  5. Repeat of Mrs. Thomas REESE
  6. The funeral of John Neat will take place on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock with services at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James Henry of 504 Jadwin St. The funeral of Walter Bellman of 626 Lee Ct. who died Thursday at the State hospital will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock from Jordan & Walsh's undertaking parlors, Wyoming avenue.  Interment at Forest Hill Cemetery.
  7. The funeral of Steven CLEARY will be held on Monday morning at 9 o'clock from the home of his sister-in-law, 611 Cherry St., South Scranton. Services will be at St. John's church, Pittston avenue, and Fig street, and interment will be in Cathedral Cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

Scranton newspaper extract.

Transcriber's Note: Article is dated 2/18/1930 but she died 2/15/1930 and was buried 2/18/1930 so I don't know if the article was on 2/18 or 2/19 as it mentions "funeral yesterday".




Funeral in North Scranton of Mrs. E. L. Benjamin, aged 65, of 2039 Edna avenue, which was held yesterday.

Following a brief prayer service at the home for the immediate family, the funeral cortege moved to the Providence M. E. church, of which the deceased had been a member for over half a century.

The services at the church was in charge of the Rev. G. R. Savage, pastor, assisted by the Rev. R. C. Burch and the Rev. G. A. Cure, both former pastors.  They all spoke their appreciation of the beautiful Christian character of Mrs. Benjamin and paid wonderful tribute to her life of service.

Mrs. George Evans sang "Face to Face" and a quartet, composed of Mrs. Evans, Mrs. William Moore, W. E. Clegg, and Charles Trauger, rendered one of her favorite hymns.

The casket was banked with a profusion of flowers, and these were carried from the church by women who represented the various societies of which Mrs. Benjamin was an active member.  The flower bearers were:  Mrs. Itterly, Mrs. Reynolds, Mrs. Rymer, Mrs. Schiebel, Mrs. White and Miss Minnie Wells.

The pallbearers were:  Harry Goodrich, Warren Reese, Lewis Argust, William Rolls, Henry Griffen, and Fred Hartzell.

Transcription of her grandmother's obituary provided by Barbara Jenkins

From the Scranton Times on Monday, 3 February 1931, Page 13.
  1. Mrs. Redford Miller, of Moscow, died yesterday.  Besides her husband, Mrs. Miller leates two sons, Ellis, of Kennelworth, M. J. and Roy, at home; two sisters, Mrs. Chalres manns of Scranton, and Mrs. B. W. Carr, of Couldsboro; three brothers, Arthur Stevens of Baltimore, Md.; Harry Stevens, of Sterling; Lewis Stevens, of this city. Burial will be in Maple Lake cemetery.
  2. Emrich John Merva, a resident of this city for a half century, died Saturday in his home, 163 Rigg street, Dunmore.  He was communicant of Holy Family church.  His last employment was with the I. C. S.  Mr. Merva leaves one daughter, Mrs. John Mawn; two sons Albert Merva of Hartford, Conn. and Jospeh Merva. Burial will be in Holy Family cemetery, Throop.
  3. The funeral of Mrs. Mary Gwynne Lewis, former resident of Taylor was held Saturday from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edith Fermer of 1121 Ridge Row. Burial was in Union cemetery, Peckville. Attending were nephews of Mrs. Lewis:  Hayden and Harold Gwynne, Harry and Walter Saxe, Samuel and Pual Edwards. Also Mesdames William Reese, James Howels, Gwyn Edwards and Mary Gill were present.  Mrs. Lewis was a member of the Taylor Baptist church for fifty years.
  4. Jospeh Wilson, thirty-three, formerly of this city, died at Philadelphia Saturday. Besides his wife,
  5. the former Miss Helen Heib, of South Scranton, he leaves his mother, Mrs. Joseph Wilson, Sr.; of Philadelphia. Burial will be in Dunmore Cemetery.
  6. William Springer, ninety-one, died in the home of his son, George Springer, of 3528 Birney avenue, Greenwood, Saturday.  Besides his son, Mr. Springer leaves the following daughters and sons:  Mrs. Jane Webb, of Greenwood; Lafayette Springer, of Ohio; Andrew Springer, of Greenwood; Mrs. Freeman Larned of Springbrook; Mrs. James Tinklepaugh of Greenwood. Burial will be in Marcy cemetery, Duryea.
  7. Benjamin Kline of Lebanon, died Saturday, according to relatives.  He was the father of County Detective John Klline, of Taylor.
  8. The funeral of Robert Rego, former chief of police of Old Forge borough, will be tomorrow from the family home, Main street, Old Forge.  A high mass of requiem will be sung in St. Mary's church, Old Forge. Burial will be in Cathiedral cemetery, this city.
  9. Anthony Hill, seventy-one, former stationery engineer at the Dickson colliery of the Hudson Coal company, died about Saturday in his home, 2224 Pond avenue. Mr. Hill was born in Lackawaxen and came to this city fifty years ago. Mr. Hill leaves two daughters; Mrs. Henry Silleken of New york; Mrs. Otto Hasse, of Elizabeth, N. J.; three sons, Howard and Edward Hill, of this city, and Frank Hill of Elizabeth, N. J.  Burial will be in Stratford avenue cemetery.
  10. Mrs. Fanny Rubel, widow of Louis Rubel, former prominent Dickson City businessman, died in her home, 108 Main street, Dickson City, Saturday. Burial was in Dunmore cemetery. Mrs. Rubel leaves four children:  Hannah, Ruth, and Saul, at home; Mrs. Mildred Stoll of New York; a sister, Mrs. Samuel Marmartein of New York; three brothers, Morris Weisberger, of New York; Simon Weisberger of Chicago; Edward Weisberger of Los Angeles, Cal.
  11. Paul Osborne of 1339 Amherst street, died yesterday. Burial in Cathedral cemetery.
  12. Mr. Jean Jenkins, twenty-two, wife of Matthew Jenkins, of 1610 Washburn street, died last night. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Grudis. Mrs. Jenkins was graduated in June 1924 from the Scranton Lackawanna Business college. She was married to Mr. Jenkins, Oc tober 6, 1926.  Besides her husband, she leaves her parents; two children, Elizabeth Mary and Matthew, Jr.; a sister Miss Loretta Grudis. The funeral will be Wednesday in St. Patrick's church. Burial will be in Cathedral cemetery.
  13. George W. Ralph, of Union City, N. J., formerly of this city, died Saturday. Besides his wife, Phenie Keiper Ralph, he leaves two daughter, Mrs. Arlene Hamrael, of Union City; Mrs. Arthur Dunbar of Ohaha, Neb. and a son Alvan, of Lyndhurst, N. J. Burial will be in Dunmore cemetery.
  14. Funeral services for Mrs. Libby Hinerfeld of 826 Lee court were conducted yesterday in the home by Rabbi Henry Guterman, assisted by Cantor Newmark of the Penn Avenue Synagogue.  The casket bearers were: S. N. Hinerfeld, Joseph Hinerfeld, Samuel Hinerfeld, Morris Baum and Jack Kreiger. Burial was in Providence Jewish cemetery.
  15. Mr. Mary Burke, wife of John Burke, of 66 Borad street, Binghamton, N. Y., died yesterday. Besides her husband, she leaves a daughter, Theresa; a son Maurice Burke, both of Binghamton, her father, Michael King, two sisters and two brothers all of Minooka.  The funeral will be Wenesday in St. Paul's church, Binghamton. Burial will be in Calvary cemetery, Binghamton.
  16. Charles A. Belin died at Tucson, Ariz last Thursday. Private funeral services in Hickory Grove cemetery, Waverly.
  17. Mr. Katherine Hartman, eighty-nine, of 972 Paul avenue, East Scranton, died yesterday.  Mrs. Hartman was the widow of Frank J. Hartman.  She was born in Germany in 1841.  She was a member of Petersburg Presbyterian church.  Mrs. Hartman leaves two sons, Frank Hartman of Rochester, N. Y.; Louis Hartman, of this city; four daughters, Mrs. Cahterine Marsh of Dunmore, Mrs. William Carter, of this city, Mrs. Lena Lutz of this city and Mrs. Lottie Bennett of New York. Burial will be in the Petersburg cemetery.
  18. Henry Granville, sixty-six, of 4 Clark Place, died Saturday.  He was born in England and came to the United States when a boy. He was a member of the First Welsh Presbyterian church, Electric Council, No. 156, Woodmen of the World.  Besides his wife, Mr. Granville leaves on son, Harry; a daughter, Mrs. Joseph Burns, both of this city; one brother, Joseph Granville of Carbondale; one sister, Miss Sara Granville, this city; eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.  Funeral services in the residence by Rev. Dr. T. T. Richards, pastor of the First Welsh Baptist Church. Burial in Waverly cemetery.
  19. Jacob Lesh, eighty-four, of Newton, veteran of the Civil war, died Saturday.  He was a member of Ezra Griffinpost, No. 139, G. A. R.  Mr. Lesh leaves two daughters, Emily, of Clarks Summit; Mrs. F. B. Kearn, of Newton; a son, F. B. Lesh, of Clarks Summit; a sister, Mrs. Hannah Hughes, of Newton; eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.  Burial will be in Milwaukee cemetery.
  20. The funeral of Miss Regina Smith, of Jessup, will be tomorrow in St. James' church Jessup.  Burial will be in St. Patrick's cemetery, Olyphant.
  21. Mary Cerato, twelve-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Cerato of 2118 Myrtle street, died Saturday. Besides her parents, she leaves five borthers:  Michael, Jr.; Frank, Joseph, Marrio and William; three sisters, Rose, Celestine and Lucy. The funeral services conducted by Rev. George Callender, the pastor of Myrtle Street M. E. chruch.  Burial will be in Dunmore cemetery.
  22. The funeral of William J. Payne, of Columbia street, took place Saturday.  Services were conducted at Snowden's Funeral Home by Rev. Beckwith, pastor of the Green Ridge Baptist church. Services at Dunmore cemetery were conducted by Koch-Conlypost, No. 121, American Legion in charge of Chaplain David T. Price. The firing squad: Louis Dallett, Andrew De Gutis, Joseph May, John Kester and Charls Schulz.  The squad was in charge of William Dittfield.  The ladies' auxiliary of Koch-Conley post: Mr. Jane Conrad, Mrs. Emma Dittfield, Mrs. Andrew De Gutis and Mrs. Kathryn Keller.  Edwin A. Harris, Blind bugler.
  23. Mr. Pauline Petercoskey, a former resident of Old Forge, died this morning.  Surviving are two daughters, Gene and MArie; three sisters, Mrs. Anna Rosiewicz of Duryea; Mrs. Mary Zuris of Duryea and Miss Frances Ermel of Pittston; also by two brothers, Charles Ermel of Pittston and Vincent Ermel of Duryea.
  24. The funeral of Leo Kranic, took place Saturday. Interment in the Soldier's plot at Chinchilla. Services were in charge of Koch-Conley Post, No. 121 and American Legion Veterans of Foreign Wars post, No. 25. David Price, chaplain. The firing squad was William Dittfield, Joseph May, Andrew DeGutis, John Kester, Charles Schulz and KLouis Dallett.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

From the Scranton Times, February 23, 1931

Frank Snell, fifty-eight, proprietor of Snell's garage and automobile accessory store, in Prescott Avenue, died about 4:50 o'clock yesterday afternoon in his home, 1509 Mulberry Street, after five days' illness of pneumonia.  Mr. Snell has been a resident of Scranton for fifty years. He formerly conducted a blacksmith shop in the 400 block of McKenna Court.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Times on Saturday, 3 November 1931 on Page 18.
  1. Mrs. Leah S. Williams, died last night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lillie Wylan, of 335 Sussex street.  She was eighty years old and had been a resident of Old Forge for forty-five years. Mrs. Williams was a member of the War Mothers. Besides Mrs. Wylam, she is survived by another daughter, Mae, of Elmira, N.Y.; and two sons, William, of Rendham, and Sattath of Old Forge; also a sister, Mrs. William Stickin, of Long Island, eighteen grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
  2. Mrs. Matilda Keiper Tuthill, widow of Arthur P. Tuthill, died last night at the home of her brother, George J. Keiper, of 815 Quincy avenue.  Rev. Dr. John C. Mattes, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church will officiate at the funeral.  Interment will be in Dunmore cemetery. Mrs. Tuthill is survived by another brother, Jacot Keiper, of Philadelphia, and a sister, Mrs. Frea Ralph of Union City, N. J.
  3. The funeral of Lawrence, young son of Mr. and Mrs. James Boyle, of 1165 Eynon street, will be held Monday. Interment will be at Montrose.
  4. The funeral of Anthony Slangan, of 743 East Locust street, will be Monday with services in St. Stanislaus' Polish National Church.  Interment will be in Minooka Cemetery.
  5. The funeral of Mrs. Mary Fadden will be held Monday with a mass in St. Patirck's Church.  Burial will be in Cathedral cemetery.
  6. Mrs. Henry Starck, of 942 Maple sstreet, died yesterday in the Hahnemann Hosptial.  She was a member of the Hickory Street Baptist Church, the Kin's Daughters and otehr women's organization of the congregation. She is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Fred Henkelman, and two sons, Russell and Willard; also five sisters, Mrs. Bertha Phelps, Mrs. Violet Harrival, Mrs. Margaret haner, Mrs. Sarah Cummings of Cleveland, and Mrs. Martha Dowse of Taylor.
  7. Charles J. Miller, of Scott township, died yesterday at the age of sixty-one.  The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home with services in charge of Rev. George Ammerman.  Interment willl be in Sandy Bank cemetery.
  8. Mrs. Nellie Bridges, of 24 Grafield avenue, Endicott, N. Y., formerly of Peckville, died last night.  She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Mildred Vandenberg, of Peckville and Mrs. Alice Shaffer, of Endicott; three sons, James, of Endicott, John of Peckville; Arthur of Endicott; a sister, Mrs. Martha Warren of Peckville (the page cut off there)

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

From the Scranton Tribune on Monday, 4 January 1937, page 18.
  1. Mrs. Nellie Maccioco, 523 North Hyde Park AVenue, died yesterday morning. She was a member of St. Lucy's Church.  Mrs. Maccioco was born in Wilkes-Barre.  She is survived by her husband Pasquale; her husband Stephen Duchnack; sister, Mrs. Michael Fedor, and a brother, Joseph Duchnack.
  2. Mrs. Patronia Ditchkus, 62, Daleville, died yesterday in the State Hospital.  She had made her home in Daleville. She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Joseph Chesna, Dalton; Mrs. Harry Evans, Daleville;, Mrs. William Glucksnis, Scranton, and Margaret, Daleville; a brother, Charles Rolanitis, Carbondale, and two sisters, Mr. Alex Bridryk and Mrs Caroline Dzendolent, both of Cambridge, Mass.
  3. Mrs. Frieda Keiper Rohr, 30, 815 Quincy Avenus, died Saturday in the Moses Taylor Hosptial.  She was a member of St. John's Lutheran Church. She is survivied by her husband Ludwig; a daughter, Mary Jane, and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Keiper. Interment, Dunmore Cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

From the Scranton Times, April 4, 1942

Mrs. Louise Sontag Zitzelman, sixty-seven, wife of Theodore Zitzelman, died last night at her home, 1609 Gibson Street, after a brief illness.  She was a native of this city and was an honorary member of the Liederkranz ladies’ Auxiliary.  Surviving are her husband, a member of the jewelry firm of Brennan, Baisden and Zitzelman; two sons, Philip and Carl; a daughter, Mrs. Herbert Snell of Pittsburgh; a brother, Henry Sontag; and four grandchildren.  Interment will be in Forest Hill Cemetery.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Times, April 9, 1946

Theodore F. Zitzelman, member of the jewelry firm of Brennan, Baisden & Zitzelman, Theodore F. Zitzelman, seventy-six, 1609 East Gibson Street, died last evening in Scranton State Hospital.  He served as a volunteer fireman in the early days of the Scranton Fire Department and for many years sang with the Junger Maennerchor.  The deceased is survived by two sons, Carl, Newark N.J., and Frederick, Philadelphia; one daughter, Mrs. Herbert Schnell [Snell], Pittsburgh, and five grandchildren.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

From the Scranton Tribune, Monday, 5 September 1949, Page 5.
  1. The funeral of Richard Edwartowski, 1718 South Webster Ave., will take place Tuesday from the home with mass in Sacred hearts Church.  Burial, parish cemetery.  Mr. Edwartowski died Friday afternoon at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Lebanon.  In addition to his wife, Ollie, he is survived by three sons, Richard Jr. and Leonard, this city and Jospeh stationed with the Army in Arabia; two grandchildren; three brothers, Joseph, John and Al, this city, and a sister, Mrs. John Wentland, this city.
  2. Mrs. Jennie L. Dailey, 94, Clarks Summit, died yesterday at the home of her son Leory Dailey, Winola Road, Clarks Summit. Wife of the late Joseph L. Dailey, and a member of First Baptist Church, Clarks Summit. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. William Allspaugh, Scranton; two sons, Lloyd, Taylor, and Leroy, Clarks Summit; nine grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.
  3. The funeral of Bert R. Mickel, East Hamlin was held Friday from the family home with the Rev. George Akers officiating. Pallbeareres were:  Howard Swingel, William Schaffer, Harry Menzenber, Arthur and Gerard Daniels and Erwin Demming.  Interment, Hamlin Cemetery.
  4. The funeral of Dr. J. D. Lewis, 204 West Market St., will be conducted today. Interment will be in Dunmore Cemetery.  Doctor Lewis was state health officer in Lackawanna County and a practicing physician here since 1910.  He died Friday in State Hospital.
  5. Walter Pietrzykowski, 617 Pittston Ave., died Saturday at St. Mary's Hostpital. Born in Poland, he came to this country 40 years ago.  He established a tailor shop in South Scratnon. Mr. Pietrzykowski was acommunicant of St. Stanilslaus Polish National Church. Interment, parish cemetery, Minooka.
  6. Mrs. Fredericka Keiper Ralph, 75, Paterson, N. J., formerly of Scranton, died yesteday. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Arline Hammel, Paterson; a son Alvin Ralph, Paterson; a brother, Jacob D. Keiper, Philadelphia; four grandchildren adn one great-grandchild, all of Paterson. Burial will be made in Dunmore Cemetery.  The Rev. George Fritch, St. Ptere's Lutheran Church, will officiate.

Transcribed and provided by Tom Price

From the Scranton Times, Feb. 27, 1950

Mrs. Flora Robertson Snell, 77, died Saturday night at home, 1509 Mulberry St.  She was born in Dunmore, a daughter of the late John [NOTE: this is incorrect; her father was Adam Robertson] and Margaret Robertson, and had lived in this city for a half century.  Surviving are three sons, Donald W. and Frank R., this city, and Herbert H., Coraopolis Pa.; two sisters, Mrs. Anna Delaney, Dunmore and Mrs. Jean King, Denver Col; four grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

Transcribed and provided by Nancy Griffith

Scranton Republican Newspaper 1886 Obituary Index

Return to the List of News Items

Return to the Lackawanna County PAGenWeb Home Page

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Lackawanna County, PAGenWeb Project.