Antique Postcards
Carbondale, Lackawanna County, PAGenWeb
Postcards with pictures were first allowed by the post office in the late 1800's, but started to be printed in large number starting about 1905. A high percentage were printed in Europe, mostly Germany. Towns, such as Carbondale, used older photographs to print their first cards. In some cases something seen on a card no longer existed. This is most markedly noticeable in the views of Main Street near City Hall. Many cards were published showing the Harrison Hotel (Harrison House), when in fact, it had been torn down before 1875 and replaced by the Miners' and Mechanics' Savings Bank (see Durfee's book). To make the postcard views look more contemporary, cars were added to the image.

Scans and text by Susan White Pieroth 2008. Images and information may be saved for personal research purposes only, and may not be published in any form, including on another website. Anyone may link to these pages without permission.

Left: D & H railroad yards, showing Coalbrook breaker.

Right: D & H yard

Left: Birds-Eye view of Carbondale. The train station is on the right.

Right: D&H RR Passenger station. It was destroyed by fire.

Left: "One of Carbondale's Beauty Spots."

Right: Belmont Street Park

Left: South Main. At the end is the old Harrison House/Hotel and City Hall at the far left. That's a fake car on the left.

Right: Main Street looking north. At the end is the M&M bank with real cars along the curbs.

Left: Main Street looking south. Harrison House and City Hall are on the right and fake cars in the street.

Right: M and M Bank and City Hall with Durfee Memorial Clock. City Hall was built around 1860 after the first wooden building burned.

Left: North Main

Right: 1922 Main Street with City Hall at the far end and the M&M Bank this side of it.

Left: Hotel Harrison, Main Street

Right: in the same spot is Miners & Mechanics Savings Bank

Left: North Main Street with Harrison House on the left.

Right: Overhead view of Main Street looking south

Left: View of Main Street looking south.

Right: South Main Showing Irving Theatre

Left: North Main Street. The arch is probably for a home coming celebration. The far building is the American Hotel. It was later used as a nursing home.

Right: The "Grand" Opera House and American Hotel. A fake car is on the far right.

Left: an older view of Memorial Park with St. Rose's church behind the Civil War statue.

Right: Memorial Park - a later view from the opposite direction.

Memorial Park and Singer's Park Clothing House.

Left: U. S. Post Office with a horse fountain at the intersection.

Right: Opening of the new U. S. Post Office, 1893.

Left: Pioneer Dime Bank on Main Street.

Middle: North Main Street from Post Office toward City Hall.

Right: The Fair Store on Main Street. It opened in 1890.

Left: Fountain Main Street and Lincoln Ave. At the end is the Mitchell Hose Company fire house.

Right: Team and hose horse, Andrew Mitchell Hose Co.

Left: Salem Avenue. The Clarke Brothers Department Store is on the right.

Right: North Main from Salem. The Clarke Brothers Department Store is on the near right.

Front and back of a 1934 postcard size advertisement for the Palace Diner, 9 Salem Avenue. E. H. Beeler was the proprietor.

Left: Sixth Avenue. At the end is the Episcopal Church and City Hall at the right.

Right: Sixth Avenue. City Hall is on the left and St Rose Catholic Church at the end.

Scans and text by Susan White Pieroth 2008. Images and information may be saved for personal research purposes only, and may not be published in any form, including on another website. Anyone may link to these pages without permission.
Continue the Next Carbondale Postcard Page
Back to the Postcard Page Index
Return to the Lackawanna PAGenWeb Home Page