The Mosaic was completed in Italy
in 1900. It was placed in the Universalist
Church at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in August of 1900, at a cost
of $650.00. In
1919, The Universalist Church at Wilkes-Barre closed its doors.
Marion and Lillian Storrs were visiting family in Wilkes-Barre and
attended the church service at the Universalist Church when the pastor
announced that the church was going to close. After the service, Marion and Lillian asked the pastor what the plans were for the Mosaic. The ladies explained what their interest was and why they wanted to move the Mosaic to the Universalist Church in Standing Stone. They left their address with the pastor and the pastor said he would notify them when a decision had been made.
In August, Marion and Lillian Storrs received a letter. The congregation had voted and decided that if Marion and Lillian would pay to have the Mosaic removed from the wall, put in a crate, and make the shipping arrangements with the railroad, that they would give the Mosaic to the Standing Stone Universalist Church. Marion and Lillian were very happy with the decision. The next day, Marion and Lillian made arrangements to have the front wall in the Standing Stone Universalist Church reinforced with steel beams. The next week, Marion and Lillian traveled to Wilkes Barre to make arrangements for crating and transporting this beautiful Mosaic to Standing Stone.
In September 1919, the Mosaic arrived at Standing Stone on a
railroad car. A team of four oxen and two open hay wagons carried the Mosaic to the Universalist Church. Men from miles around came to help lift this Mosaic into its place. The window closest to the Mosaic was completely taken out. The Mosaic was turned on its side and lifted through the window. After the removal of the shipping material, the Mosaic was lifted into place. The Mosaic weighs one and a half tons and is fifteen feet high. It is supported on the wall by railroad spikes.
After making sure that the Mosaic was secure, Marion and Lillian
Storrs wrapped the mosaic with three large American flags. They put three
separate cords, one on each side, and one in the middle so when the dedication took place, the flags would fall at the same time.
On Sunday, December 14, 1919, at 2:30 p.m., the unveiling
of the mosaic took place. Marion and Lillian Storrs dedicated this beautiful
Mosaic in Honor of Lt. Asa Stevens, who was killed in the Wyoming Massacre. The three great-great-great-grandsons of Lt. Asa Stevens unveiled the Mosaic.
They were: Nelson Perry Stevens, son of Charles S. & Minnie Donley
Stevens. Ralph Lee Stevens, son of Fred K. & Edna Beamen Stevens. Lincoln Abraham Neiley, son of Jerome B. and Jennie Stevens Neiley.
All of the boys were eight years old at the time of the unveiling. Special music was provided by Charles S. Stevens, playing the violin, and his daughters, Alice I. Stevens (French) at the pump organ, and Ada H. Stevens (McNeal) at the Cello.
The value of the Mosaic is Priceless.
Born at Plainfield, Connecticut, 1734
A First settler of Wilkes-Barre
Lieutenant of Volunteers
Slain in the Wyoming Massacre
July 3, 1778
Erected by His Descendants
This still stands today in what is now called the Standing Stone Vesper Church.