The Third United Presbyterian Church
was organized July 13, 1899, by a commission appointed by Beacon Valley
Presbytery, and held its first meetings in a store room on Lathrop
Street. There were sixteen charter members received August 8, 1899, and W.
R. McClaren, H. L. Palmer and W. J. Kildoo were elected trustees.
W. S. Taylor was appointed treasurer. On
February 8, 1900, the first building was dedicated. On account of rapid
growth an auditorium was built in 1906, seating about 400. The
Rev. T. L. Rose canvassed the field and after the organization
became its first pastor, and so continued until his death, which
occurred October 7, 1905.
On December 7th of the same year J.
Elmer Campbell was called and began work on the first Sabbath of
January, 1906, and is the present pastor. The congregation now numbers
about 420 members, with a Sabbath school of almost 300. It has the largest
W.M.S. in the Presbytery, with Mrs. J. Elmer
Campbell as president, and the Y.P.C.U is second in numbers in the
Beaver Valley Presbytery.
There are four adult Bible classes fully
organized, and the Wednesday evening prayer-meeting is one of the largest
in the city. During the last ecclesiastical year 153 persons were received
into membership, and the future is bright for great work for the Master
and his cause. The present session consists of W. J.
Kildoo, clerk; Major L. C. Brinton, William
E. Reed, A. L. Black, Thomas J. Gordon and A. M. McConaghey.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 210-211