BETHANY LUTHERAN CHURCH.
The Rev. S. T. Nicholas, missionary
superintendent of the Pittsburg Synod, G.S., canvassed New Castle in the
summer of 1904 and effected the organization of this church, which was
accomplished on December 4 of that year, with thirty-one charter
members. The Rev. L. P. Young became the
first pastor, his service extending to July 1, 1906. The membership,
after running up to fifty-four, fluctuated and on account of heavy
removals and losses was reduced to twenty-five in November, 1906. C.
G. Leatherman began work November 15, 1906, and has continued to
date as the pastor. The membership of the church is now forty-two, with
a Sunday-school enrollment of forty. A new church building is just being
completed, to be dedicated early in November (1908). The edifice is of
buff brick, with a seating capacity of 200, and cost, with lot, $6,000.
The present officers of the church are: Pastor, Rev.
C. G. Leatherman; elders, John C. Sontag
and J. C. Overmoyer; deacons, Jacob
Sontag and C. M. Wilson; trustees, Scott
Heasley and W. C. Burchfield.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 222