GRACE M. E. CHURCH. Grace
M. E. Church of New Castle was organized in December, 1899, by Rev.
A. O. Stone of the Erie Conference, who was assigned to this work
by Rev. J. C. Schofield, who was at that
time presiding elder by the New Castle District. During the first three
years of its existence services were held in a small building rented
from the Welch Congregational Church. During his pastorate a lot was
purchased at the corner of Reynolds and Agnew Streets.
Rev. Stone was succeeded by the Rev.
C. W. Foulke, in September, 1900, who served the church one year.
In the autumn of 1902 Rev. J. C. A. Borland
was appointed pastor. During his pastorate the present church was
completed and dedicated, the dedication services being held on February 8,
1903. The church—a substantial buff brick structure containing an
auditorium, lecture room, parlor and class rooms—was erected at a cost
of $15,000. Mr. Borland continued as pastor
for three years, when he was succeeded by Rev. H. M.
Burns, who also served three years, closing his pastorate in
September, 1908, when G. S. W. Phillips took
charge. The present membership of the church is 135, with a Sabbath-school
enrollment of 150. The officers for 1908 are as follows:
Trustees: Thomas A. Long,
H. W. Castle, W. T. Etter, L. M. Buchanan, H. T. Thompson, C. F. Shoenfeld,
Dr. E. H. Perry.
Stewards: Dr. W. A. Womer,
William Lang, J. F. Greer, Charles Fletcher, J. C. Pherson, George
Pearson, Mrs. L. V. Carson, Mrs. J. H. Nelson.
Class leaders: J. H.
Reed, Thomas Francis, John McGaughey, J. H. Nelson, Mrs. T. A. Long. Sunday
school superintendent, Thomas Francis. Epworth
League president, Scott Greer. Ladies' Aid
president, Mrs. C. T. Schoenfeld.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 214-217