(Taken in part from an article by Hon. David
"Methodism was planted, so to speak, in
this section of country, as it has been in every rural district on this
continent, by pioneer settlers. Its first appearance in the Erie
Conference was in Mercer County, in the Leach settlement, in 1798. A class
was formed there by two local preachers, Thomas
McClelland and Jacob Gurwell, both natives of Ireland, of such
persons as had come to that neighborhood and brought letters of membership
with them. A settlement had been commenced there two years before by Robert
R. Roberts (the father of Methodism in this part of Pennsylvania),
and others. These local preachers labored in word and doctrine, in the
rude log-cabins, in groves, and wherever a little group could be collected
together. Soon after the formation of the class in the summer of 1798, a
second class was formed, a little South of the first (of which R.
R. Roberts was leader). Thomas McClelland
was a member of the class first formed, and Jacob
Gurwell of the second, which latter was joined by John
Leach, Sr., and wife, who arrived in that settlement in 1802. The
two local preachers named above took the entire watch-care of these
classes and supplied them regularly with preaching for several years
before the regular itinerant preachers reached them.
"In 1800 the Baltimore Conference
appointed Rev. P. B. Davis to the Shenango
circuit; he did not, however, embrace the classes in the Roberts
neighborhood within his circuit, but left them still under the care of the
two local preachers residing in the place. There were eight annual
conferences held in the year 1800, but there were no fixed boundary lines
between them, and each preacher being at liberty to do so, attached
himself to the Conference most convenient to his work.
"In 1801 the Baltimore Conference
appointed Thornton Fleming to the Pittsburg
district, and Joseph Shaw to Shenango
Circuit. Asa Shinn was appointed to the
Shenango Circuit in 1802. He will be remembered as a leader in the
secession movement from the M. E. Church, out of which grew the
Protestant Methodist Church, in 1828. George Askin
was appointed in 1803, Joseph Hall in 1804,
and R. R. Roberts in 1805. The latter, by
permission of his elder, exchanged circuits with David
West, in charge of the Erie Circuit, for the reason that the
appointments immediately around the old log cabin built by Mr. Roberts in
1796, and into which he had taken his family and goods, were connected
with the Erie Conference. Mr. Roberts had made arrangements to erect a
grist-mill the next year near his rustic log farm-house, and it was on
this account that he was this year sent to the Shenango Circuit. In 1806 James
Reed was on the Shenango Circuit. In 1807 James
Watt and Thomas Church were in charge. In 1808 James
Charles. In 1809 Jacob Dowell and Eli Towne.
In 1810 James Watt was appointed, he being
the first preacher who extended his labors thus far south on this circuit,
where the first class was formed by him that year."
"This country, as far north as Lake Erie,
was embraced in the Baltimore Conference. A district of country, bounded
on the east by the Allegheny Mountains, on the south by the Greenbrier
Mountains of Virginia, on the west by the limits of the white settlements
in what is now the State of Ohio, and on the north by Lake Erie,
constituted the Monongahela District."
In 1804 William Richards,
a member and licensed exhorter of the M.E. Church, moved his family from
Center County, Pennsylvania, and settled them on a farm near "King's
Chapel," some three miles north of New Castle, and commenced holding
religious meetings in his own house, where, soon after, a class was formed
composed of William Richards and wife, Robert
Simonton and wife, Arthur Chenowith
and wife, Mary Ray, Rachel Fisher, John Burns and
wife, Michael Carman and wife, William
Underwood and wife, Robert Wallace and wife, Philip Painter and
wife, and Rebecca Carroll. This is believed to have been the first
Methodist class organized in the neighborhood of New Castle. William
Richards was its first leader. At that time there were but two
circuits in what is now the Erie Conference—Erie and Shenango —the
former with a membership of 349, and the latter with 206—making a total
of 555. The first class organized within the territory comprising the
present Erie Conference was the one already mentioned at the Roberts or
Leach settlement, in Mercer County, by Jacob Gurwell
and Thomas McClelland, in 1798, of
which Robert R. Roberts was the class-leader.
The itinerant ministers were first introduced here in 1800.
The Pittsburg district of the Baltimore
Conference then embraced the settled portions of West Virginia and what
are now the Pittsburg and Erie Conferences; and the Erie and Shenango
Circuits embraced all the country west of the Allegheny River and from the
Ohio to Lake Erie.
There was but one quarterly meeting held on the
Shenango Circuit in 1801, at which Robert R. Roberts
was licensed as an exhorter, and the next year the Quarterly Conference
gave him a license to preach, and he was received on trial by the
Baltimore Conference, which convened in Baltimore April 1, 1802. From 1800
to 1816 the annual salary of a traveling preacher was $80 and traveling
expenses, and the annual allowance of the wife $80; each child, until
seventeen years of age, an annual allowance of $16; those from seven to
fourteen years, $24; and no support from the Church in any other way. In
1802 the membership on the Shenango Circuit was sixty-five. No trace can
be found of an organized Methodist society in New Castle prior to 1810. In
that year Jacob Gruber was appointed
presiding elder in the Monongahela District, and James
Watt the preacher on the Shenango Circuit, who during that year
formed the first class in New Castle, the members of which were Michael
Carman and wife, John Bevins and wife,
James Squier and wife, and Nancy
Wallace, with Michael Carman as
leader. At that time there was not a Methodist meeting-house in the
territory embraced by the Erie Conference, except a small one built of
round logs and covered with clap-boards, called "Bruch's
Meeting-house," in West Springfield Township, Erie County.
The time when the first Methodist meeting-house
was built cannot now be ascertained with certainty, but it is believed to
have been in 1815 or 1816.
New Castle was made a preaching appointment on
the Shenango circuit in 1810, by Rev. James Watt,
the preacher on the circuit, and who organized the first class, as before
In 1811, Abel Robison
was appointed to Shenango circuit by the Baltimore Conference, at its
session March 20, 1811. Jacob Gruber was
In 1812 the districts were changed, and this
section of country was embraced in the Ohio District (named after the Ohio
River), Jacob Young presiding elder, and William
Knox appointed to Shenango Circuit, in which New Castle was an
The General Conference, which met in May of
that year, transferred the Ohio District to the Ohio Conference with its
In 1817 the Shenango Circuit was divided
between the Erie and Beaver Circuits, and the name no more appears in the
Minutes of the Conference. The Minutes do not show whether the New Castle
appointment was on the Erie or Beaver Circuit from 1817 to 1821, in which
latter year the New Castle Circuit was formed.
In May, 1824, the General Conference, which met
at Baltimore, formed the Pittsburgh Conference out of portions of
Baltimore, Ohio and Genesee Conferences.
In 1832 the Meadville District was formed, and Zerah
H. Gaston appointed presiding elder and D. C.
Richie and Ahab Keller to New Castle Circuit. In 1833 Alfred
Brunson was elder in the Meadville District, and Thomas Thompson
sent to New Castle. (At the session of 1833 of the Pittsburg Conference
the Allegheny College was placed under the control of the Conference, and
opened in September of that year).
In 1834 the Warren District was formed and Wilder
B. Mack appointed elder, and R. B. Gardner,
and one to be supplied, to New Castle. In 1835 the Ravenna District was
formed, and William Stevens appointed
presiding elder, and William Carroll and Thomas
Thompson preachers on the New Castle Circuit.
The General Conference, at its session in
Cincinnati, in 1836, formed the Erie Conference, which held its first
session in Meadville, August 17, 1836. The session was composed of
fifty-five members, of which Joseph S. Barris
was appointed presiding elder on the Meadville District, and E.
B. Hill and Thomas Graham to the New Castle Circuit.
In 1840 Warren District embraced New Castle
Circuit, with Hiram Kinsley presiding elder,
and T. Stubbs and D. W. Vorce on the New
We have been unable to obtain a complete
historical sketch of the First M.E. Church. The society now has a fine
edifice, at the corner of Jefferson and North Streets, and is one of the
active religious organizations of the city. The present pastor is Rev.
E. E. Higley.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 212-214