ST. JOHN'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN.
On the twenty-third day of June, 1895, eleven Lutherans assembled in the
Y.M.C.A. Chapel, and at 11 a. m., Rev. N.
Schaffer, then of Greenville, Pa., conducted services. This was
the beginning of what developed into the present St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church. Until the following spring the Rev.
Schaffer conducted services once every fortnight. On June 17,
1896, Rev. J. H. Miller having been called,
took charge of the mission and preached to the congregation for the
first time June 21, 1896. On June 21, 1908, the congregation observed
the thirteenth anniversary of the congregation and the twelfth
anniversary of the Rev. J. H. Miller, Ph.D., the
first and only called pastor in the history of St. John's congregation.
The congregation has a membership of 250, and the Sunday-school has
enrolled 200 members. The church is located on North Street and
Neshannock Avenue, the property being valued at $20,000, with a small
indebtedness. The congregation is noted for its liberality and activity
in all lines of benevolence. Officers: Rev. J. H.
Miller, Ph.D., pastor; deacons, A. W.
Allshouse, George Miles, F. J. Rowle, Henry Eisie, Harrison Ziegler and
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 222