ST. VITUS' CHURCH.
This church, which provides for the spiritual wants of the Italian
citizens of New Castle, is under the charge of Rev.
Nicholas DeMita, and was dedicated August 15, 1907, by Bishop
Reges. It is a fine brick structure and was erected at a cost of
$70,000, the corner stone being laid August 15, 1906. School
accommodations are provided in the basement for 400 pupils, under
sisters of a Catholic order, and the church has a seating capacity of
700. It is of a tasteful style of architecture and finish, and is an
ornament to the city. The pastor, Rev. Father
DeMita, is a native of Italy, and was educated to the priesthood
in his native land, where he first assumed the duties of the pastoral
office. After coming to America he located in Pittsburg, where he
organized the Italian mission, which he conducted for eighteen months,
showing courage in braving the threats of a certain class of his
countrymen who were opposed to anything like moral or religious
restraint. He originated the Catholic Anti-Black Hand Society, which now
has a membership of 300 or more, including many prominent Italian
citizens. Father DeMita was appointed
pastor of St. Vitus in September, 1905, and now has 400 families under
his spiritual direction.
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 220