SWEDISH LUTHERAN ZION CHURCH.
The above named congregation was organized on the 27th day of February,
1894, and its present church building on Crawford Avenue was erected the
following year. Owing mainly to the fact that the Swedish population of
the city is comparatively small, the membership from the start was
necessarily very small and is so yet. At present there are only
something over forty communicant members and about an equal number of
children, making the total number about eighty.
This church has never had a resident pastor,
but its pulpit has been supplied by pastors or theological students from
the nearest sister church at Youngstown Ohio. Services are held only every
other Sunday, but the little Sunday school, which has been maintained most
of the time, meets every Sabbath. There are two ladies' societies and a
Young People's Society, all working in the interest of the church.
Financially the church is in a very good condition, there being no
encumbrance on the church property; the running expenses are met regularly
and without difficulty.
The present officers are as follows: Deacons, Messrs.
N. J. Carlson, Cleas Nelson and P. J. Nelson; trustees, Messrs.
Christopher Nelson, Bernhard Svenson and B. J. Bengtson; secretary,
Carl J. Carlson; cashier, Bernhard
Svenson; collector, David Nelson; organist,
Miss Jennie Benson; pastor, John
A. Johansson. The following pastors, all of them residing at
Youngstown, Ohio, have given part of their service to this church: A.
G. Olson, 1894-97; Edward Stark,
1900-04; Axel C. Anderson, 1905-06; J.
A. Johansson, 1907- .
Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 222-223