Search billions of records on

  New Castle 

Trinity Episcopal Church


TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH. The first Protestant Episcopal services were held in New Castle in 1843, at the home of Dr. A. Andrews, who had settled here in 1834, by the Rev. Dr. White, of Butler. The parish was organized in 1848, on Easter Monday, the Rev. Richard Smith being the first rector. The first vestrymen were: J. M. Crawford, Jonathan Ayres, Esq., Hon. L. L. McGuffin, G. A. Scroggs, Esq., J. Hamilton, Dr. A. Andrews, George Sloan, J. H. Brown and W. P. Reynolds. The Rev. Mr. Smith was an earnest worker and hunted up all the Episcopal families in Lawrence County and brought many others into the church. Old Trinity Church on Neshannock Avenue was built in 1856, the corner stone being laid by Bishop Potter. The present handsome church building was erected in 1902, and is the only stone church in the city. Of all the rectors of Trinity Church there are only five now living, namely: The Rev. W. S. Hayward, the Rev. J. D. Herron, the Rev. H. H. Barber, the Rev. C. W. Tyler, Ph.D., and the present rector, the Rev. J. E. Reilly, D.D. The present membership of the church is 800; Sunday-schools, 250. The parish maintains a flourishing mission in the south end of the city, known as St. Andrew's Mission.

Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 223



Return to the Lawrence County

Genealogy Main Page  

Or visit one of these major sections of the site:

Bible Records


Birth, Death, Marriages

Books and Lookups




County Info

Family Histories


Men of the Cloth




Old Photos


Wills, Deeds, Pensions


Mercer County USGenWeb   Crawford County USGenWeb

Western PA Orphans    Western PA Old Photos   Men of the Cloth

Lawrence County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects.  All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Lawrence County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb. 

Copyright 2005 Teri A. Brown. All rights reserved.