The first United Presbyterian Church was organized as an Associate Reformed congregation somewhere about 1810 or 1812. This church was originally called "Neshannock," but that name was finally dropped, and the present "Neshannock," United Presbyterian Church is situated in the southern part of Hickory Township. The congregation at first worshiped in a rude log structure. They also for some time used the brick building occupied by the postoffice in 1877. Subsequently a substantial and commodious brick edifice was erected in the north part of town.
Rev. Alexander Murray served the congregation while they occupied the old log church. Other ministers supplied the church for a number of years, and it was not until about 1832 that their first regular pastor,
Rev. Alexander Boyd, was settled. He ministered about six years. About 1840
Rev. David R. Imbrie became the pastor, and served for twenty-five years.
Revs. James B. Miller, D. D., J. M. Donaldson and Rev. John H. Gibson
came after. While Mr. Murray preached here he had four charges-Neshannock (New Wilmington), New Castle, Prospect (in Neshannock Township), and Wolf Creek (in Butler County).
Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 371