J. ROSS, occupying the very responsible position of manager
of the New Castle works of the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company, has
been identified with this great industrial plant since March, 1894,
coming to it while it still bore the old name of Greer Mills. Mr. Ross
was born at New Castle, Pa., August 5, 1873, and is a son of J. Calvin
and Viney (Eaton) Ross.
Mr. Ross was
reared and educated in his native city, his first work after leaving
school coming to him in the form of driving a delivery wagon for Hayes
& Mitchell, grocers. This position did not entail a great deal of
responsibility, but it is prob-able that Mr. Ross performed his duties
faithfully or, when the senior partner, Mr. Hayes, went into the
wholesale tobacco business he would not have offered the position of
shipping clerk to his humble employe. Again Mr. Ross, to use a
pardonable slang expression of the day, "made good," and he remained
with Mr. Hayes until he was offered a better place in the tin-mills. He
entered the works as weighmaster and was constantly advanced from one
position to the other until he became foreman in the finishing works of
the Shenango mills, where he continued for five years. Poor health then
caused him to retire from the company and be then entered into the
grocery business, in association with Archie Gordon, but eight months
later he accepted a position with the Sharon Works as assistant
superintendent, and remained there until July 1, 1908, when he became
manager of the New Castle plant. Faithful attention to duty, unfailing
industry and fidelity to his employers have marked the whole of Mr.
Ross' business career and have brought him success.
Mr. Ross married Maud A. Phillips, who is a daughter
of John T. Phillips, and they have five children, namely: Ruth, Sara,
Martha, John and David.
Mr. Ross has advanced to the higher branches of
Masonry. He is a member of the Lodge of the Craft, No. 433, F. & A.
M.; Delta Royal Arch Chapter, Hiram Council, Lawrence Commandery and the
still higher branches belonging to the Lake Erie Consistory. He is also
identified with the order of Elks.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 566