CLARK McCREARY, a prosperous farmer residing on eighty-eight
acres of land in Neshannock Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, was
one of the patriots who went forth in defense of the Union in the War of
the Rebellion not to return from the conflict unscathed. He sustained the
loss of his right leg above the knee, but with a soldier's fortitude and
without complaint he turned his attention to peaceable pursuits and
achieved success. He is a native of Neshannock Township, born December 8,
1838, is a son of Thomas and Jane (Lindsey)
McCreary, and a grandson of Samuel McCreary.
McCreary, the grandfather, was the first of the family to take up
his residence in Lawrence County, coming from Eastern Pennsylvania as
early as 1802. He settled in the woods in what is now Hickory Township,
erected a cabin and set about the task of clearing his farm of its timber
and underbrush, a herculean task known only to the pioneer. He served with
credit during the War of 1812. His wife's given name was Margaret,
and they were married prior to their arrival in this new western country.
McCreary was born in Neshannock Township, November 7, 1808, and
engaged in farming there all his life, his farm being located along the
creek in the eastern part of the township. He died in January, 1899. He
was a Whig, later a Republican in politics, and served as supervisor,
overseer of the poor, and as school director. He married Jane
Lindsey, a daughter of George Lindsey, she being a native of what
is now Wilmington Township, Lawrence County. Seven children blessed this
union, six of whom arrived at maturity, namely: S.
Clark; Margaret (Pattison), of Union Township;
George L., a member of Company F, One Hundredth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, who was wounded in the battle of Spottsylvania, and
died while in the service; Baxter, of Los
Angeles, Cal.; Henry, of New Castle, and Nancy,
deceased wife of Thomas Pomeroy, of
Oregon. Religiously, Mr. McCreary and his wife were members of the United
Presbyterian Church, of which he was an elder about forty years.
Clark McCreary was educated in the schools of the township and
remained on the home farm until the war. He enlisted August 31, 1861, in
Company F, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was in the
battles of James Island, S. C.; Second Bull Run; and Chantilly, in which
engagement he lost his limb. He received an honorable discharge December
4, 1862, and returned to the home place, where he remained until his
marriage. He then located in New Castle and served as prothonotary from
1872 until 1879. In 1878 he purchased his present farm, which then
consisted of ninety-six acres, and here he has since resided. He follows
general farming and stock raising, and at first was engaged in feeding
cattle and sheep on quite an extensive scale. The farm is now under the
care of his son Elmer.
McCreary was united in marriage with Margaret Deemer,
a daughter of Benjamin Deemer, of Venango
County, and they have five children: Jennie,
wife of William V. Fisher, of Neshannock
Township; Rev. Ira G., of Greenville, Pa.; T.
Elmer, who operates the home farm but lives on an adjoining farm;
Nancy; and Harry D., who is a member
of the class of 1910 in Cornell University; and May,
who is being reared by Mr. McCreary. Mr. McCreary is a Republican in
politics, and has filled various township offices. Fraternally, he is a
member of Post No. 100, G. A. R., at New Castle. Religiously, he is a
consistent member and elder of the United Presbyterian Church, of which
his son Elmer is also an elder.
Read another biography of Samuel Clark McCreary
Source: "S. Clark McCreary," 20th Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens, Hon. Arron L. Hazen, editor, (Chicago, Illinois: Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., 1908), 525-526.
Submitted by Stephen Fisher