The Third United Presbyterian Church was organized July 13, 1899, by a commission appointed by Beacon Valley Presbytery, and held its first meetings in a store room on Lathrop Street. There were sixteen charter members received August 8, 1899, and W. R. McClaren, H. L. Palmer and W. J. Kildoo were elected trustees. W. S. Taylor was appointed treasurer. On February 8, 1900, the first building was dedicated. On account of rapid growth an auditorium was built in 1906, seating about 400. The Rev. T. L. Rose canvassed the field and after the organization became its first pastor, and so continued until his death, which occurred October 7, 1905.
On December 7th of the same year J. Elmer Campbell was called and began work on the first Sabbath of January, 1906, and is the present pastor. The congregation now numbers about 420 members, with a Sabbath school of almost 300. It has the largest W.M.S. in the Presbytery, with Mrs. J. Elmer Campbell as president, and the Y.P.C.U is second in numbers in the Beaver Valley Presbytery.
There are four adult Bible classes fully organized, and the Wednesday evening prayer-meeting is one of the largest in the city. During the last ecclesiastical year 153 persons were received into membership, and the future is bright for great work for the Master and his cause. The present session consists of W. J. Kildoo, clerk; Major L. C. Brinton, William E. Reed, A. L. Black, Thomas J. Gordon and A. M. McConaghey.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 210-211