BETHANY LUTHERAN CHURCH. The Rev. S. T. Nicholas, missionary superintendent of the Pittsburg Synod, G.S., canvassed New Castle in the summer of 1904 and effected the organization of this church, which was accomplished on December 4 of that year, with thirty-one charter members. The Rev. L. P. Young became the first pastor, his service extending to July 1, 1906. The membership, after running up to fifty-four, fluctuated and on account of heavy removals and losses was reduced to twenty-five in November, 1906. C. G. Leatherman began work November 15, 1906, and has continued to date as the pastor. The membership of the church is now forty-two, with a Sunday-school enrollment of forty. A new church building is just being completed, to be dedicated early in November (1908). The edifice is of buff brick, with a seating capacity of 200, and cost, with lot, $6,000. The present officers of the church are: Pastor, Rev. C. G. Leatherman; elders, John C. Sontag and J. C. Overmoyer; deacons, Jacob Sontag and C. M. Wilson; trustees, Scott Heasley and W. C. Burchfield.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 222