GERMAN LUTHERAN. The first society of this denomination in New Castle was organized by Rev. C. Brown on the 28th of August, 1848, with twenty-seven members. Mr. Brown was located at Beaver and preached the first Lutheran sermon in New Castle on the 10th of September of the same year. The first services of the congregation were held in the West schoolhouse. The first church officers were elected October 8, 1848, and installed November 5th following. The first celebration of the Lord's Supper in the German language was on the 5th of November, 1848.
On the 1st of January, 1849, a constitution was adopted, and on the same day Rev. C. Brown was elected as pastor for the ensuing year. On the 28th of January, 1849, a sabbath school was organized and superintending officers appointed. The first meeting of the Church Council was held on the 29th of January, 1849. The first meeting of the congregation was held December 23, 1849, to take action upon the resignation of Rev. C. Brown. At the meeting of the Church Council on the 22d of March, 1851, it was resolved to build a church, the dimensions of which should be 40 feet in length, 30 feet in width, and 18 feet in height. The second pastor next following Mr. Brown was Rev. H. Manz. Following him was Rev. H. C. Kahler, who continued until 1857. At a meeting of the congregation, held on the 15th of February, 1857, Rev. W. Grobel was elected as pastor; and by the same authority, at a meeting held on the first of March, it was resolved that divine service should be held every alternate Sabbath at 10:30 o'clock in the forenoon and 3 o'clock in the afternoon. At a meeting on the 28th of February, 1858, it was resolved that the pastor's salary should be $250 for the year, to be paid quarterly, and that every person on becoming a member shall pay an initiation fee of three dollars. Those who are already members and have paid nothing toward the pastor's salary shall have their names stricken from the church rolls. At a congregation meeting held on the 3d of April, 1859, Rev. F. Zimmerman was elected pastor for the ensuing year.
At a meeting held on the 24th of February, 1861, it was resolved that the pastor should live in New Castle, and that he should receive a salary of $300 per annum. Rev. J. H. C. Schierenbeck succeeded Mr. Zimmerman. On the 5th of May, Messrs. A. Treser, C. Reiber and J. Merkel were constituted a committee to purchase a dwelling for the pastor. In the spring of 1867 Rev. C. Jaekel succeeded Mr. Schierenbeck as pastor, and filled the office acceptably until May 26, 1875, when he resigned.
At a church meeting held August 4, 1867, it was resolved to permit the pastor to hold divine service at the "Bethlehem" church, in Wurtemburg, every fourth Sunday.
At a meeting of the Church Council, January 10, 1869, it was resolved that the pastor should baptize no child of parents who pay nothing for the support of the church in New Castle, or who do not contribute towards the salary of the pastor.
At a meeting of the congregation, November 6, 1870, it was ordered that the pastor should hold services alternately in New Castle and Corry, Erie County, Pennsylvania, the latter as a missionary station; and his salary was fixed at $300 per annum.
On the 24th of September, 1871, this arrangement was modified, and the pastor was relieved from holding services at Corry, and gave his whole time to New Castle.
After the resignation of Rev. Mr. Jaekel, the congregation was without a pastor until October 1, 1875, when Rev. J. Fritz was elected for three years, in accordance with the provisions of the constitution. The further history of this church has not been furnished us, but we append a brief account of other Lutheran churches, now active in the religious work of New Castle.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 221-222