GRACE M. E. CHURCH.
Grace M. E. Church of New Castle was organized in December, 1899, by Rev. A. O. Stone of the Erie Conference, who was assigned to this work by Rev. J. C. Schofield, who was at that time presiding elder by the New Castle District. During the first three years of its existence services were held in a small building rented from the Welch Congregational Church. During his pastorate a lot was purchased at the corner of Reynolds and Agnew Streets.
Rev. Stone was succeeded by the Rev. C. W. Foulke, in September, 1900, who served the church one year. In the autumn of 1902 Rev. J. C. A. Borland was appointed pastor. During his pastorate the present church was completed and dedicated, the dedication services being held on February 8, 1903. The church-a substantial buff brick structure containing an auditorium, lecture room, parlor and class rooms-was erected at a cost of $15,000. Mr. Borland continued as pastor for three years, when he was succeeded by Rev. H. M. Burns, who also served three years, closing his pastorate in September, 1908, when G. S. W. Phillips took charge. The present membership of the church is 135, with a Sabbath-school enrollment of 150. The officers for 1908 are as follows:
Trustees: Thomas A. Long, H. W. Castle, W. T. Etter, L. M. Buchanan, H. T. Thompson, C. F. Shoenfeld, Dr. E. H. Perry.
Stewards: Dr. W. A. Womer, William Lang, J. F. Greer, Charles Fletcher, J. C. Pherson, George Pearson, Mrs. L. V. Carson, Mrs. J. H. Nelson.
Class leaders: J. H. Reed, Thomas Francis, John McGaughey, J. H. Nelson, Mrs. T. A. Long. Sunday school superintendent, Thomas Francis. Epworth League president, Scott Greer. Ladies' Aid president, Mrs. C. T. Schoenfeld.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 214-217