New Castle

 Primitive Methodist Church

 


Return To
Churches Index Page



Primitive Methodist Church, New Castle
Click to enlarge


 

Brief History of the Primitive Methodist Church from Pastor Merle F. Wilson

HISTORY BRIEF

In the latter part of the sixties, there were a few folks who had a knowledge of the Lord, and His glorious power to save, living in a section of Newcastle, in which at that time, there were not many, if any places, for public worship (churches) for them to unite in fellowship and communion with.

For Christian communion and fellowship, the souls of these humble followers of the Man of Galilee hungered, so they gathered together and held prayer meetings in the home of one of their number, Mr. Wm. Nitingale, which was then located on what is now known as Division street. These prayer meetings grew in interest and power, and in a very brief period ultimately developed into regular public worship, services being held every Sunday morning and evening. God soon evidenced His divine approval by setting His seal upon it in the salvation of precious souls, one of the first being Mr. Thos. Kimberley.

A Sunday School was started that held its sessions on Sunday afternoon in Mr. Kimberley's washhouse. The school soon outgrew the capacity of the meeting place, so that this little group of earnest worshipers of God had forced upon them the question of building a church edifice. After much prayer and earnest discussion they finally decided, because of the democracy and freedom afforded by the Primitive Methodist Connecion Church policy, to organize a Primitive Methodist Society, purchase a lot and build a church.

This soon became real. The society was organized and the first Board of Trustees was elected June 21, 1869, viz., Wm. Boat, Wm. Kimberly, Benjamin Bates, Henry Blews and Wm. Nitingale. A lot was purchased at what was at that time an ideal place for a church, at a cost of $450 and a suitable building for church purposes was erected. It was a small frame building, but it met the requirements of the time.

This young society grew so rapidly that, but a few years later, in 1881,during Rev. R.G. Roscamp's D.D., pastorate, the little frame building gaveplace for a more up-to-date and substantial brick structure.

And still later, on a new and more prominent site, at the corner of Mill and Maitland streets, donated by Miss Irene Maitland during Rev. G.J. Jeffries' ministry. On the 5 day of October, 1902, a third church, gothic in style of architecture, of white pressed brick with brown stone trimmings,52x107 feet in dimensions, with beautiful artistic art glass windows, a splendid pipe organ, substantial and of exquisite beauty, was dedicated.

This magnificent commodious plant stands a monument of credit to the untiring efforts of the Rev. R. Wilson, Ph.D., and his band of faithful workers.



Source: Brief History of the Primitive Methodist Church from Pastor Merle F. Wilson

Submitted by Judy Anne Champion Frates



Primitive Methodist Church History from Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County

 
 

Return To Churches Index Page

 

Return to the Lawrence County Genealogy Main Page



Lawrence County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Lawrence County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site. You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-20013,   Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.