ST. JOHN'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN. On the twenty-third day of June, 1895, eleven Lutherans assembled in the Y.M.C.A. Chapel, and at 11 a. m., Rev. N. Schaffer, then of Greenville, Pa., conducted services. This was the beginning of what developed into the present St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Until the following spring the Rev. Schaffer conducted services once every fortnight. On June 17, 1896, Rev. J. H. Miller having been called, took charge of the mission and preached to the congregation for the first time June 21, 1896. On June 21, 1908, the congregation observed the thirteenth anniversary of the congregation and the twelfth anniversary of the Rev. J. H. Miller, Ph.D., the first and only called pastor in the history of St. John's congregation. The congregation has a membership of 250, and the Sunday-school has enrolled 200 members. The church is located on North Street and Neshannock Avenue, the property being valued at $20,000, with a small indebtedness. The congregation is noted for its liberality and activity in all lines of benevolence. Officers: Rev. J. H. Miller, Ph.D., pastor; deacons, A. W. Allshouse, George Miles, F. J. Rowle, Henry Eisie, Harrison Ziegler and Frank Alborn.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 222