ST. VITUS' CHURCH. This church, which provides for the spiritual wants of the Italian citizens of New Castle, is under the charge of Rev. Nicholas DeMita, and was dedicated August 15, 1907, by Bishop Reges. It is a fine brick structure and was erected at a cost of $70,000, the corner stone being laid August 15, 1906. School accommodations are provided in the basement for 400 pupils, under sisters of a Catholic order, and the church has a seating capacity of 700. It is of a tasteful style of architecture and finish, and is an ornament to the city. The pastor, Rev. Father DeMita, is a native of Italy, and was educated to the priesthood in his native land, where he first assumed the duties of the pastoral office. After coming to America he located in Pittsburg, where he organized the Italian mission, which he conducted for eighteen months, showing courage in braving the threats of a certain class of his countrymen who were opposed to anything like moral or religious restraint. He originated the Catholic Anti-Black Hand Society, which now has a membership of 300 or more, including many prominent Italian citizens. Father DeMita was appointed pastor of St. Vitus in September, 1905, and now has 400 families under his spiritual direction.
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 220