SWEDISH LUTHERAN ZION CHURCH. The above named congregation was organized on the 27th day of February, 1894, and its present church building on Crawford Avenue was erected the following year. Owing mainly to the fact that the Swedish population of the city is comparatively small, the membership from the start was necessarily very small and is so yet. At present there are only something over forty communicant members and about an equal number of children, making the total number about eighty.
This church has never had a resident pastor, but its pulpit has been supplied by pastors or theological students from the nearest sister church at Youngstown Ohio. Services are held only every other Sunday, but the little Sunday school, which has been maintained most of the time, meets every Sabbath. There are two ladies' societies and a Young People's Society, all working in the interest of the church. Financially the church is in a very good condition, there being no encumbrance on the church property; the running expenses are met regularly and without difficulty.
The present officers are as follows: Deacons, Messrs. N. J. Carlson, Cleas Nelson and P. J. Nelson; trustees, Messrs. Christopher Nelson, Bernhard Svenson and B. J. Bengtson; secretary, Carl J. Carlson; cashier, Bernhard Svenson; collector, David Nelson; organist, Miss Jennie Benson; pastor, John A. Johansson. The following pastors, all of them residing at Youngstown, Ohio, have given part of their service to this church: A. G. Olson, 1894-97; Edward Stark, 1900-04; Axel C. Anderson, 1905-06; J. A. Johansson, 1907- .
Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 222-223