Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

  

 Wurtemburg

 United Presbyterian Church

 


Return To
Churches Index Page



 

THE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH of Wurtemburg was organized in 1859 by Rev. Thomas Guthrie, D. P., who supplied it for some time. The members originally belonged to the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Perry Township. The first regular pastor of the new organization was Rev. J. H. Peacock, who came about 1867 and preached five years. The next regular pastor was Rev. John P. Glenn, who was installed November 1, 1874, and also had charge of the Center Church in Shenango Township. The original membership was about eighty. A Sabbath-school has been kept up most of the time. The church lot was furnished by James Mehard, one of the members of the congregation, and a large frame church built upon it in 1860.

A portion of the congregation, some forty-five members, left the church in 1873, and formed a new congregation in Perry Township called Camp Run. They built a church in 1874, and have meetings in connection with Mountvile United Presbyterian Church, in the same township.



Source: Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 362

 
 

Return To Churches Index Page

 

Return to the Lawrence County Genealogy Main Page



Lawrence County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Lawrence County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site. You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-20013,   Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.