Lawrence County Historical Markers


Marker Name:  C. Frederick Post
Dedicated on August 1, 1968
Marker Type: Roadside Marker
Located at Pa. 18 & 108 South of New Castle
Category: Native American

Marker Text:
Sent by Provincial officials to draw Indian friendship away from the French, the Moravian missionary held councils at Kuskuskies Towns, August to November, 1758. His work, and the threat of Gen. Forbes' army, forced the French to leave present-day Pittsburgh on November 24, 1758.



Marker Name:  Cross-Cut Canal
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Located at U.S. 224 just N of Edinburg (MISSING)
Category: Canals, Navigation, Transportation

Marker Text:
The Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal, in use 1838-1872. Chartered by both states, 1827. Joined Beaver Canal just below New Castle, linking Pittsburgh with Youngstown and Cleveland. Followed Mahoning River on line of present railroad.



Marker Name:  Friedennsstadt - PLAQUE
Dedicated on June 1922
Marker Type: Plaque
Located at PA 18 N of Moravia (MISSING)
Category: Early Settlement, Native American, Religion

Marker Text:
This stone marks the site of the former Moravian Indian village of Languntoutenunk, or Friedensstadt, or city of Peace. Settled by the Moravian Indians in the spring of 1778. The majority of the members of this Mission had formerly belonged to the Mississippi...



Marker Name:  Friedensstadt
Dedicated on March 12, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at Pa. 18 (near junction Pa. 168) North of Moravia
Category: Early Settlement, Native American, Religion

Marker Text:
Founded 1770 by Christian Delaware Indians brought from upper Allegheny by the Rev. David Zeisberger. Settling on the eastern river-bank on May 3, they moved to the west side about three months later.



Marker Name:  Friedensstadt
Dedicated on March 12, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at Pa. 18 North of Moravia
Category: Cities & Towns

Marker Text:
Abandoned April 13, 1773, when its inhabitants, with the Rev. John Heckewelder, moved to new towns on the Muskingum in present Ohio. There some of them were massacred, March 8, 1782, by Pennsylvania militia.



Marker Name:  Harbor Creek
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at U.S. 422 just North-West of New Castle
Category: Transportation, Canals, Navigation

Marker Text:
Northern terminus, Beaver Division of Pennsylvania Canal system, completed to this point, 1834. Important shipping point before completing "Cross-Cut Canal" to Ohio, 1838, and Erie Extension to Greenville, 1840.



Marker Name:  Ira D. Sankey
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at PA 551 at post office, Edinburg
Category: Performers, Religion

Marker Text:
Famous singing evangelist, fellow-worker with Dwight L. Moody in Europe and America, was born Aug. 28, 1840, at Edinburg, in a house since removed. He died in Brooklyn, New York, on Aug. 13, 1908.



Marker Name:  Kuskuskies Towns
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at Junction Pa. 18 & 108 South of New Castle
Category: Early Settlement, Native American

Marker Text:
Important group of Indian towns on and near site of present New Castle. First inhabited by Senecas; but after 1756 settled chiefly by Delawares from eastern Pennsylvania. Abandoned during Revolutionary War.



Marker Name:  Kuskuskies Towns
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at Junction U.S. 224 & Pa. 551 at Edinburg
Category: American Revolution, Cities & Towns, Military, Native American

Marker Text:
Of this group of towns, the last one occupied by the Indians stood near here in 1785, when Gen. Wm. Irvine toured the Donation Lands just before their division into tracts given to Revolutionary soldiers.



Marker Name:  Lawrence County
Dedicated on October 2, 1982
Marker Type: City
Located at Clavelli History Ctr. (Lawrence County Historical Society), 408 N. Jefferson St., New Castle
Category: Government & Politics, Government & Politics 19th Century

Marker Text:
Formed March 20, 1849 from Beaver and Mercer counties. Its name honors naval hero Capt. James Lawrence. County seat, New Castle, was laid out in 1802. Between 1890 and 1920 it was one of America's fastest growing cities and center of the tin-plate industry.



Marker Name:  Neshannock Potato
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at U.S. 19 at SR 1004 (Shaw Rd.) just S of Mercer County line, New Wilmington
Category: Agriculture

Marker Text:
The once widely-known and choice variety originated just west of here , on a farm occupied by John Gilkey, 1798-1826. A brother, James, was fellow-worker. Their potato was also called Mercer or Gilkey.



Marker Name:  Seamless Tube Industry
Dedicated on September 14, 1994

Marker Type: City
Located at Pa. 351, Lawrence Ave. at 7th St., Ellwood City
Category: Business & Industry, Professions & Vocations, Ethnic & Immigration, Steel

Marker Text:
A block away was the plant in which Ralph C. Stiefel, the Swiss-born engineer, invented the rotary piercing process for making steel tubing, 1895. He helped found Ellwood Weldless Tube Co., which became a nucleus for National Tube Div. of U.S. Steel.



Marker Name:  Squaw Campaign
Dedicated on March 19, 1948
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at SR 3007 (Elmwood St.) just south of New Castle (MISSING)
Category: American Revolution, Military, Native American

Marker Text:
800 unruly militia, under command of Gen. Edward Hand, left Pittsburgh to attack British at present Cleveland, February 1778. At an Indian town in the river-fork below here, they killed a man and an old woman; then returned home.



Marker Name:  Warner Brothers' First Theater
Dedicated on November 16, 1994
Marker Type: City
Located at 11-15 South Mill St., New Castle
Category: Business & Industry, Music & Theater

Marker Text:
An early milestone for the Warners' film empire was the operation by Harry, Sam, & Albert Warner of a theater here, 1906-07. It seated 99 persons, who could view three movies for a nickel. Sixteen years later, Warner Bros. Pictures was established.



Marker Name:  Westminster College
Dedicated on January 25, 1949
Marker Type: Roadside
Located at Pa. 208 (Market & Neshannock Sts.) in New Wilmington
Category: Business & Industry, Music & Theater

Marker Text:
Founded by the Associate, now United Presbyterian, Church. Chartered 1852. One of first two colleges in Pennsylvania to grant degrees to women, and the first to grant them the A. B. degree, in 1857.



Return to the Lawrence County Genealogy Main Page


Lawrence County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Lawrence County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site. You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.

Copyright © 2000-20013,   Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.