Holy Family Children's Home

Later to become known as
Margaret L. Henry Children's Home


Click for larger image
520 Friendship Street
New Castle, PA.

Holy Family Children's Home was established in September 1903 by Margaret L. Henry, who came to New Castle as the representative of the Society of the Holy Family of Cleveland, Ohio.

For the very first six months after being established, Holy Family Children's Home was located on the north side of New Castle on Lincoln Avenue. After the first six months it was then moved to the east side of New Castle at the intersection of Cunningham Lane and Division Street. Cunningham Lane was later renamed Friendship Street.

The home was located across from the former Ben Franklin Jr. High school. Where the home once existed now a funeral home and a nursing home exist.

Sometime before 1920 Holy Family Children's Home come to be known as Margaret L. Henry Children's Home

The home was closed in 1952.



Holy Family Children's Home - 1910 United States Census
Later to become 'Margaret L. Henry Children's Home'

Margaret L. Henry Children's Home - 1920 United States Census

Margaret L. Henry Children's Home - 1930 United States Census

Margaret L. Henry Children's Home - 1940 United States Census



Source: 20th Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens


For further information about Margaret L. Henry Children's Home

Return to the Lawrence County Genealogy Main Page



Lawrence County Genealogy is part of the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb projects. All documents, photos, materials and graphics contained in the Lawrence County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site. You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.

Space provided by Rootsweb.
Copyright © 2000-20014, Jeanne Hall - All rights reserved.