Montour County Genealogical Society
Historic Danville: The Susquehanna River Bridge
Photos courtesy of Peter Hubicki
Until 1829 when a covered toll bridge was built across the river between Danville and Riverside (South Danville), travelers relied mainly upon ferry boats to reach the opposite shore. Unfortunately, floods and ice jams have taken their toll on Danville's bridges over the years. That first wooden bridge was destroyed in a flood in 1846. A second bridge was erected the following year and was lost to a flood in 1875. Below is a photo of the remains of the third bridge that was destroyed in the Spring of 1904. The iron bridge which replaced it withstood many floods and was a Danville landmark for nearly a century, finally being replaced by a concrete structure which opened in 2000.
A trolley car traversed the new bridge, completed in 1905.
A view of the new bridge over the Susquehanna River in 1906.
The bridge and Riverfront Park in 1944.
A new bridge from Factory Street to Riverside, tunneling under the Market Street historic area, was completed in 2000. This photo, contributed by Bob McWilliams, shows the old and new bridges side by side.
Montour County Genealogical Society, 205 Ferry St., Danville, PA 17821 (570) 275-6177
Genealogy Room: Thomas Beaver Free Library, 2nd Floor
Hours: Saturdays 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM; Mondays 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Copyright © 2001-14 Cynthia Elder for MCGS. All rights reserved.
This page last modified on December 15, 2014