Montour County Genealogical Society

Home About Us What's New Cemeteries Co. & Twp. History Church Files Ethnic Groups Family Info Sharing Links Local Events Lookups Outline Map Photos Research Sites Sales & Services

Montour County Photo Album

Welcome to our Photo page, an idea suggested by one of our visitors.  We'll try to feature a variety of photos contributed by Montour County researchers, changing them from time to time.  Perhaps visitors can help with identification of those frustrating unlabeled photos that we all seem to have.  If you'd like to contribute a photo, please contact the webmaster prior to sending any files. Due to the increasing size of these files, I've separated them into several pages.  Click on the surname to view the associated photos.  Be patient; some of them take a while to open.

Family Photos

  Bennett   Wood   Hughes   Shoemaker   Savery  Morris

Historic Danville

Here you'll find a rotating collection of historic Danville photos from the wonderful picture postcard collection of Pete Hubicki.  Thanks, Pete, for sharing them with all of us!  Also, some other photos of interest. 

The Canal & Bloom Street    The Susquehanna River Bridge   Iron Industry                  Iron Heritage Festival 2004:  (Re-creating Montour County History)

Danville Photographers

Some of the early Danville photographers are listed below.  This list is not comprehensive and information will be added as it is obtained.

Early Danville Photographers

D. McEwen- Daguerrotypes. Opened July 25, 1848 in the Prothonotary’s Office in the Courthouse.

S.P. Huey – Fairview- Daguerrrian Gallery. Opened June 1, 1849 at the corner of Pine and Mill Streets, opposite the Intelligencer office.

J.P. Leisenring, Photographer. Opened January 10, 1851 in Huey’s old room a few doors from the canal on Mill Street.

J. B. Cox, Photographer. Opened April 13, 1855 in the Montgomery Building.

Mr. Tubbs, Photographer. Opened about May 25, 1855 on the third floor of the new VanAlen Building.

D.C. Neagley. Bought out Tubbs on August 3, 1855.

J.B. Moore. Opened May 2, 1856 on North Mill Street, one door North of Captain Baldy’s store. He employed Neagley.

E.L. Mowry. Bought out J.B. Moore September 18, 1857.

Source: "Commercial Index to Danville, PA Businesses 1828-1855, Danville Intelligencer" by Randy Hackenburg.

 

                                                               

Home

Montour County Genealogical Society, 205 Ferry St., Danville, PA  17821  (570) 275-6177

Genealogy Room: Thomas Beaver Free Library, 2nd Floor

 Hours:  Saturdays 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM; Mondays 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

President:  Megan Ryan  mcgsmegsrn@gmail.com      Website Administrator: Cindy Elder  mcgsceld@aol.com             Newsletter Editor:  Lynn Reichen  larmcgs@aol.com         

Membership: Sue Messersmith   mcgssue@aol.com        Correspondence/questions: Cindy Elder mcgsceld@aol.com or Megan Ryan  mcgsmegsrn@gmail.com 

Copyright © 2001-14 Cynthia Elder for MCGS.  All rights reserved.

This page last modified on May 20, 2014