Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

\

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

Spanish-American War

The Fifteenth Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania, was composed of eight companies from the counties of Erie, Crawford, Clarion, Butler and Mercer.  The companies were located as follows:  A and C at Erie, B at Meadville, D at Clarion, E at Butler, F at Grove City, G at Sharon, and K at Greenville.   The Regiment reported at Mt. Gretna, Pa., in the early morning of April 28, 1898.  It was reviewed by the Governor on May 3d, after which the roll was called and officers and men given an opportunity to volunteer.  The various companies were recruited to seventy-five enlisted men and on May 10th, Companies A, B, C, G and K were mustered into the United States service, followed on May 11th by Companies D, E and F and Regimental Headquarters.  The Regiment was mustered as the Fifteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, with a total strength of thirty-six officers and six hundred and five enlisted men.  The several companies were afterwards recruited to three officers and one hundred and six enlisted men each.  The Regiment remained at Mt. Gretna, Pa., until June 11th, when in accordance with Special Orders, No. 122, Headquarters Department of the East, it proceeded to stations at Sheridan Point, Virginia, and Fort Washington, Maryland.  Regimental Headquarters and Companies A, B, D, F, G and K arrived at Sheridan Point, Virginia, June 12, 1898, and Companies C and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Mechling, arrived at Fort Washington, Maryland, same date.

In pursuance to Special Orders, No. 134, Headquarters Department of the East, Governor's Island, N. Y., dated June 20, 1898, Companies A and G were relieved from duty at Sheridan Point, Virginia, and ordered to proceed to Fort Washington, Maryland, which order was executed on the 23d day of June, 1898, at 5 p.m.  Company E was assigned to the care, preservation and drill of Emplacement C, having two 10-inch guns on disappearing carriages to handle, drilling regularly from the 20th day of June to the 8th day of September.  Company C was assigned to the 10-inch Barbette guns and the water battery, one 15-inch M.L.S.B., the men of the entire command continuing regular infantry, company and battalion drills.

On June 25, 1898, the battery on Emplacement C was inspected by Major Crozier, the inventor of the carriage, accompanied by Major Greenough, at which time the guns were fired twice, with a solid cast of iron shot.  Both the preliminary drill and the firing were done with accuracy and celerity, receiving the commendation of the inspectors.

Pursuant to telegraphic instructions from the War Department, the Regiment was relieved from duty at Sheridan Point, Virginia, and Fort Washington, Maryland, on September 9, 1898, under orders to proceed to Camp George Meade, Pa., and report to the commanding general of the Second Army Corps for duty.  The command left at 6 p.m., on the 9th day of September, arriving at Middletown, Pa., September 10th, at 8 a.m., and was assigned to the First Brigade, Second Division, Second Army Corps.  On September 17th, per General Orders, No. 89, Headquarters Second Army Corps, the Regiment was ordered on provost duty at the camp, and were relieved on October 2, 1898, per General Orders, No. 104, Headquarters Second Army Corps.

On October 22, 1898, pursuant to General Orders, No. 123, Headquarters Second Army Corps, Brigadier General William C. Oates was assigned to the command of the First Brigade, Third Division, Second Army Corps, and the Regiment received its first permanent assignment in the Division.  The Regiment participated in the Peace Jubilee Celebration in Philadelphia on October 27, 1898.

Pursuant to General Orders, No. 163, c. s. A. G. O., Major S. D. Crawford, with Company G, Captain John W. Smith, commanding, proceeded to Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, November 5, 1898.  The remainder of the Regiment left Camp Meade, under the same order, on the 11th day of November, for Athens, Georgia, arriving there on Sunday, November 13, 1898.  The Regiment was finally mustered out of service of the United States at Athens, Georgia, on the 31st of January, 1899.

From Record of Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Spanish-American War, 1898, published under the Provisions of the Act of Assembly, Approved April 13, 1899.  Compiled under the Supervision of Thomas J. Stewart, Adjutant General, 1901.

 

                                                                               

 

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. 

Space provided by RootsWeb. 

 

Copyright 2005 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.