Robert Luse

  21 Jan 1810  - 

2 Nov 1896

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Robert Luse 

On Monday morning, November 2, Mr. Robert Luse, an old and highly respected resident of this vicinity died at his home south of town and was buried on Wednesday afternoon.  The funeral was conducted by his old pastor, Rev. H. C. Hall, of Erie, assisted by Rev. Berger, of Sharpsville; Rev. Moses of Midway, Pa. and Rev. Dr. Hogue, Principal of Hall Institute.  The interment was in the family lot in Oakwood Cemetery. 

Mr. Luse was born in Middlesex Township, Butler County, Pa., on January 21, 1810.  His parents were noted for their upright Christian character and liberal hospitality in the pioneer Christian work in those early days of sparse settlements and long distances between families, over new and unworked roads.  His father's house was the home of the itinerant ministers and his huge log barn often served for a temple of worship in those primitive times.  Robert Luse became a Christian and joined the Baptist church at 30 years of age and ever lived a devoted Christian life thereafter.  On January 11, 1838 he was joined in marriage to Miss Calista Slater, with whom he lived most happily until her death in the triumph of faith in 1880.  Of this union there were born to him four children; Henry, the oldest son, died in his country's service in 1862 at Washington.  The youngest son died at about the same time with the eldest at 4 years of age.  Two of the children survive, Alice, the only daughter, who resided with her father at the time of her death, and Addison, his son, who is the well-known proprietor of the Meadow's Farm dairy.  Of his eight brothers and sisters he is survived by four; two sisters, Mrs. Snow of northern Iowa, and Mrs. McCan near Iowa City, Iowa, and two brothers, one living in Oklahoma Territory and the other in Queen City, Missouri, all having lived to be more than eighty years of age.  

Mr. Luse removed to the vicinity of Sharon in 1846 and has continued to reside in this neighborhood ever since.  At once upon his arrival he identified himself with the First Baptist Church of Sharon, and has continued a hard working and faithful member ever since, except for a brief period, when living near Orangeville he transferred his membership to the church of that village.  During the last 24 years of his life he scarcely ever missed attending every morning service until with in the last few months.  His labors, sacrifices and liberality in contributing toward the erection of the splendid new Baptist church building are well known to the members of the church and the community.  It is scarcely too much to say that but for his contributions and those of his children the new church could hardly have been built.  This fact has been duly recognized by the christening of the recently built chapel as Luse Chapel.  The funeral was largely attended by the neighbors and friends and there was an universal feeling of regret and sorrow expressed at this loss, as well as a united testimony to his noble life and spotless character.

(newspaper?), Sharon, PA, Nov 1896
Submitted by Cassie Langley Brown  

 

 

                      

Return to the Mercer County

Genealogy Main Page

Or Visit One of these Major Sections of the Site:

Biographies

Cemeteries

Census Data

Churches

General info

Men of the Cloth

Military

Obituaries

Old Photos

Orphans

Places

Query & Data Boards

Schools

Search

Surnames

   Crawford County USGenWeb site       Lawrence County USGenWeb site     

Western PA Old Photos   Harry A. "Dutch" Rapp Memorial Website

                                                     

                                                                

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  

 

Copyright 2003 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.