First Church in the [Lake] township was built by the Cumberland
Presbyterians about 1859-60, the society have been organized previously,
in Cool Spring township. Their church was repaired a few years
since. The first pastor in it was Rev.
Mr. Blackford. During the summer of
1876, the Cumberland Presbyterian congregation, at Jackson Center, in
Jackson Township, divided, and about seventy members organized a
separate congregation, which now  worships in the church in Lake
township. Four of the ten elders of the old congregation connected
themselves with the new one, and Rev. James
Gallagher, of Jackson Center, was its
first, and its present pastor (October 1876). The division was
made on account of the congregation at Jackson Center being rather large
for their building, and abundantly able to support two ministers and
carry on two separate organizations.
of Mercer County, 1877, page 54.
Bethany Congregation of
Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized April 1, 1870, in
Lake Township, by Rev. J. M. Gallagher, with
seventy members. The present membership  is about 140.
The house of worship used is a frame structure that was erected in 1859 at
a cost of $1,000. The first session consisted of John
Kemm, David Zahniser, Daniel McClure, William McKay and F.
M. Fleming. Since that time Thomas Kemm,
John Zahniser and James S. Palmer have
been chosen. The congregation is out of debt, and therefore enjoying
peace and prosperity. It has regular preaching by its first and only
pastor [Rev. James M. Gallagher].
of Mercer County, 1888, page 555.