St. John's congregation was organized by Revs.
Michael Kuchler and Phillip Zeiser in
1837. The Lutheran and Reformed families living in that vicinity had
previously worshipped at Good Hope Church, in West Salem Township, but in
1837 they erected a log building, 24x30, on the Mercer road, about one
mile east of New Hamburgh, which was dedicated the same year, under the
name of St. John's. In 1846 the present  two storied frame
edifice [shown at right] succeeded the log structure. The cemetery
was commenced at the time the congregation was organized. The
pastors of St. John's have been usually those supplying Good Hope.
Rev. Kuchler's successors have been Revs.
Becker, T.H. Hengist, Krantz, Michael Kuchler, Jeremiah Fishburn, C. A.
Fetzer and William Rehrig, the present
pastor , who is also professor of German in Thiel College. The
Reformed pastors of St. John's have been as follows: Rev.
Philip Zeiser, Benjamin Boyer, H. F. Hartman, Frederick Pilgram and
J.M. Shick, the last mentioned being the
pastor now in charge .
History of Mercer County, 1888, pages
John's Church, located on Mercer Road in Delaware
Township. Photo by Brent
Morgan. The Church was dedicated on 30 Oct 1921.