seminary at Canonsburgh in the fall of 1836, graduating in 1839.
During the summer vacations of his seminary course he taught at the
Mercer academy. He was licensed by the Shenango presbytery in
1840, spent a year in missionary work and was ordained and installed
here as above stated. In 1845 presbytery appointed him full time
in Greenville. During the time of his pastorate here he also
preached in Kinsman, O., and Delaware Grove.
In May of 1842, he was married to Miss
Elizabeth Patterson, who is still living, as are all of their
five children [in 1901]. In 1852 he was released by a joint committee
of Shenango and Ohio presbyteries and sent to New Wilmington, Pa., as
professor of mathematics and natural science, to take charge in
conjunction with Dr. G. C. Vincent, of Westminster
College, which the church was just then establishing. To these two
efficient laborers the
to the next page