making an actual increase of 68. The elders elected during his
pastorate were William Dickey, a man of
more than ordinary ability and intelligence at home and abroad; Robert
Dickey, a man of beautiful character and wise in counsel; McClure
Cowen, who removed to Kansas; A. P. Waugh,
who left the church and was for many years a consistent member of the
Presbyterian church; James W. Linn, a
liberal, earnest, faithful man in his office, leaving behind him a sweet
memory; John Donaldson, a man of retiring
disposition, honest and upright, sincere and faithful in his profession,
and John S. White.
First Brick Church
The first church, which was taken down in 1860 to give place to the
present building , was erected during Dr.
McLean's pastorate in 1843. The cost of the building was
bout $3,000. It was not a very inviting structure, was noted for
its high porch with long stairways at either end. Mr.
A. P. Waugh was most active in its erection. There were
many things worthy of mention which transpired during this second
pastorate but the records are lost and they cannot be reproduced.
to the next page
Margaret (Peggy) McMillen