The last opening of the books will reveal the labors and trials, the
defeats and victories of the McLean pastorates, reaching through a half
century; and may we not hope that the father and son shall meet beyond
the river in joyous recognition, many who shall shine as stars in their
crowns of rejoicing?
Pastorate of Rev. W. C. Jackson
For about one year after the release of Dr.
McLean the church was supplied by various ministers. In
July, 1853, a call was made out for Rev. W. C.
Jackson, which he accepted and began his labors here in December
of the same year. He was ordained and installed in February, 1854
and faithfully served the church until July 2d, 1862.
Mr. Jackson was born at Cedarville, O.,
December 21st, 1827, and graduated at Center College, Ky., in 1848.
In the fall of 1849 he entered the seminary at Canonsburg, Pa., and was
licensed in November, 1832, by the Miami presbytery. He was
released in June, 1861, being appointed to take charge of a mission in
Chicago where he faithfully labored until March 1864. Thence he
removed to Philadelphia and took charge
to the next page