of the Fourth church, where he successfully labored until his death
which resulted from cancer, December 22, 1878. It was during Mr.
Jackson's pastorate that the Associate and Associate Reformed
churches united in one body under the name of the United Presbyterian
Church, in Pittsburg, Pa., May 26, 1858.
The congregation, then known as the "Seceder Church,"
heartily subscribed to this union, becoming from that time the United
Presbyterian Church. The closing days of Rev.
Jackson's pastorate were days of trial in the churches. The
War of the Rebellion was just breaking out, and questions of great
interest were agitating the public mind. He faithfully and
fearlessly proclaimed the truth on these questions. About this
time many of the members were drifting out because of politics and many
had emigrated West. The organization of Delaware Grove and Kinsman
congregations had also taken away many of the members.
The pastorate of Mr. Jackson was a
pleasant and profitable one. He was highly esteemed by his
people. He was an affectionate pastor and a vigilant shepherd over
the interests of this flock. Many a heart was lightened and many a
face brightened by the sunshine of his Christian friendship, and the
healing balm of his tender
to the next page