Pastorate of Rev. James H. Tedford
The congregation was vacant but a few months when, in the autumn of
1861, a call was made for Rev. J.
H. Tedford. He was ordained and installed, April 1st,
1862. He remained in the pastorate a little over three years,
being released in the fall of 1865.
He was born March 4, 1832, in Putnam County, Indiana. He
entered Hanover college in 1852, graduating in 1856. He took a
full course in Xenia Theological seminary and was licensed, June 8,
1859, by the presbytery of Michigan. After leaving here he was
pastor of Tipton, Indiana, for ten years and of Mt. Ayr, Iowa, from June
10, 1879, to 1886, when be became the editor of the Ringold
"Record", the oldest newspaper in the country.
Of his work here, Dr. Brittian wrote in
a historical sermon in 1876, after reporting the number of members at
140: "Forty of these left during his ministry, chiefly
because of too much war and politics in religion - - a mixture which even
United Presbyterian could stand only in homeopathic
to the next page