women of strong faith and consecrated live, whose hearts were full of
love, for the old church and who were determined us give it a brighter
future. God was with men and gave them their hearts desire. It
would be pleasant to call the roll of this little company.
Most of them have joined the fellowship of the glorified. Not one of
the session of 1866 and but one of the session of 1876 is now
music was a problem in the beginning of this pastorate. Much of it
was what Macauley calls "Sanctimonious jargon." In the
praise service there seemed to be as many tunes as voices, But the first
year gave us a fine precentor and a splendid choir. The prayer
meeting was only a handful of people gathered in private houses. The
Sabbath school numbered but twenty five pupils, with three teachers.
The former soon became the leading influence in church life, and the
latter in a few years enrolled 300 members.
erection of the present  church building was the beginning of new
power in the congregation. "The Old Seceder Church" so
often applied to us as a term
to the next page