Search billions of records on


One Hundred Years of the 

United Presbyterian Church Greenville


submitted by Sue Elliott




<page 23>


of reproach, was never heard after we dedicated what was then the best church in town.  Henceforth we were "United Presbyterian," and held an honorable place in the community.


The erection of this building was the heaviest burden this congregation ever carried - - costing about $20,000 - - but there were people here with hearts larger than their pocketbooks, who gave beyond their ability, and so the enterprise was consummated, and was the beginning of years of growth and prosperity in our history.  The church was remodeled and rededicated in 1882.  Large accessions crowed the earlier years of this pastorate and no communion ever passed without additions to the church.  The most precious revival was in the spring of 1870, when sixty were added to our church fellowship.  At the end of nearly twenty years the pastorate closed with a large accession and one of the most precious communions in history.  


The Ladies' Missionary society and the Young People's society of Christian Endeavor were organized during this period.  All the elders elected in this church for thirty-six years were chosen during this period the fifth pastorate.



Go to the next page


Benjamin Wiley - 

died 1891



Mrs. Mynerva Leech - 

died 1889



John A. McCurdy, elder - 

died 1881



All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  


Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.