Search billions of records on


One Hundred Years of the 

United Presbyterian Church Greenville


submitted by Sue Elliott




<page 7>



This was signed by David Nelson, Joseph Work and Hugh Fletcher, as elders, and over forty other members.  One-third of the salary was paid at this time by the Greenville part of the charge.  The first elders here were probably Hugh Bowen, Frances Mossman and David Beatty.


Reverend Daniel McLean was born September 19, 1771, in Lancaster county, Pa., educated at Cannonsburg academy, and after studying theology with Dr. John Anderson, who constituted the seminary of the day under the Associate church, he was licensed in September 1779.  He was ordained in 1800, with a view of being sent as a missionary to Eastern New York.

The first services of Mr. McLean were held in the first house built in Greenville and known as "Shank's Tavern."  About the year 1798, Tobias Shank erected a log tavern on what is now the lot on the north west corner of West Main and First streets.  A little below it was a ford at which horsemen and wagons could cross, while just in front of the tavern Mr. Shank kept a canoe for the convenience of footmen.

The congregation worshipped after this in a 

Shank's Tavern - built 1798; 

first preaching 1801  

Go to the next page




All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  


Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.