tent pitched on the lot in the old U. P. cemetery grounds, north of
the present Catholic church, on North High street. On this lot a
rude log church was built about the year 1802 or 1903. In the year
1813 William Scott, who then owned land in
West Greenville, donated the congregation the present lot.
The first church on the present lot was built about 1813. It
was not a very inviting structure, being built on piles which formed
under it a rude shed where the sheep and pigs found shelter from the sun
and storm, frequently, annoying the worshippers within.
At the same time, Mr. McLean settled
here, this section was a complete wilderness. The Indian roamed
through the forests, and the wild animals made night hideous with their
howlings. Travelers made their way on horse
to the next page