Sharon 
 

Sacred Heart Church 

 

Sacred Heart Catholic Church - - During the building of the Pittsburgh & Erie Canal a large number of Catholics were employed on that public work, and missionary priests made periodical trips along the line of the canal to hold services and minister to the spiritual wants of the members of that faith.  Sharon being one of the principal points on the route, was also one of the places where mass was occasionally celebrated.  It was, however, some years after this period before the town possessed any Catholic settlers, though several German families of that faith located east of Sharon, around Hickory Corners, in the decade between 1845 and 1855, while other Catholic families, both Irish and German, settled in the vicinity of the blast furnaces erected in the Shenango Valley during the same decade.  For a few years those settlers were compelled to attend services at the pioneer Catholic mission north of Mercer, then known as the "Irish Settlement," or go without the consolations of their religion.  But prior to 1850 Rev. Andrew Skopez, who died in the fall of 1887, began his visits to the German settlement at Hickory Corners, and held services in the houses of members, usually at Martin Scholl's.  He was followed in succession by Revs. J. Reiser, J.J. Gallagher, Andrew Schweiger and Joseph Goebels.

The first Catholic residents of Sharon were Henry and William Crosthwaite, natives of Ireland, who came to the village from the vicinity of Pittsburgh in 1851; Charles O'Hare and family, who arrived in Sharon in 1854; 

continued


Sacred Heart Church Click to see more photographs of the church

 

Photograph of how the church looked in the early 1900s

 

 

Sign above the door on South Irvine Street.

 

 

List of the Churches in Sharon today

Map and driving directions to the Sacred Heart Church, 

40 S. Irvine St. at State Street, Sharon

 

                      

Return to the Mercer County

Genealogy Main Page

Or Visit One of these Major Sections of the Site:

Biographies

Cemeteries

Census Data

Churches

General info

Men of the Cloth

Military

Obituaries

Old Photos

Orphans

Places

Query & Data Boards

Schools

Search

Surnames

Western PA Old Photos      familyoldphotos.com

  Crawford County USGenWeb site       Lawrence County USGenWeb site     

Harry A. "Dutch" Rapp Memorial Website

 

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  

 

Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.