or Christian Church.
This organization in Sharon owes its origin to the visit of
Adamson Bentley and Walter Scott, in
the spring of 1828. These gentlemen were advocates of the doctrines then
being promulgated by Alexander Campbell, and
came to Sharon by invitation of the Baptists of the village, for whom
they held a series of meetings. Thirteen candidates were baptized, but a
difficulty arising as to the manner of their reception into the church
they, with twenty from the Baptist organization, thirty-three members
all told, formed themselves into a new organization on the last Monday
of June, 1828.
these charter members the following names have been recovered by Joseph
McCleery, to whom we are indebted for the collection of most of the
facts herein contained. The following is the list:
Bashara Hull and wife Rhoda, Obadiah Hull
and wife Mary Ann, Anna Hoagland (still
three years from the date of the organization the following, with others
whose names cannot be recalled, were added: Jesse
Hoagland and wife Elizabeth, Joseph Hoagland
and wife Anna, Richard Hoagland, John McCleery and
wife Sarah, Samuel McCleery, John Dunlap, Daniel
Upson Budd, Martin Dunham and wife Polly,
Hannah Morford, Phoebe Morford, Almira Hull, Lemual Clark and wife, Sarah
DeWolf, Rachel Hover, Leah Hover, Mary McCleery, Sr.
first preaching was done in the barn of Daniel Budd,
who prepared the building specially for such use. This building answered
the purpose well enough for summer and autumn services. It was occupied
because the feeling engendered by the organization of a new congregation
prevented their using the Baptist house. The second regular place of
worship was the cabinet-shop of Jesse Hoagland,
which was so occupied for several years. When he sold it preaching was
done in private houses and school buildings until 1840. At that time a
frame structure, about 30x40, was erected outside of the town limits, near
the present furnace of Spearman, Collord & Co. It was occupied until
1852, when, owing to its ineligibility as a place of worship, it was sold
to the furnace for a store-house. In 1852 a brick edifice, 40x54, was
erected on Rail Road Street at a cost of about $2,000. It was dedicated in
December of that year, Elder Isaac Errett,
then of Warren, Ohio, but now editor of the Christian Standard, of
Cincinnati, delivering the address. In October, 1881, the congregation
purchased its present house on the corner of Vine and Pitt Streets for $3,
500. It was erected in 1874 by the Second Presbyterian Church, and
dedicated by them February 14, 1875, the entire expense being $10,500. It
was re-dedicated by the Christian Church, Prof.
Burke A. Hinsdale, of Cleveland, Ohio, delivering the address.
This congregation has had quite
an array of preaching talent. At the organization were present Walter
Scott, Adamson Bentley and Thomas Campbell. As an assistant in this
preliminary work was George McCleery, father
of Joseph McCleery, who is still president of
Sharon, and an active worker in the congregation which his father assisted
McCleery was for many years after the organization of the
the Twentieth Century History of Mercer County says about the Disciples
Church click here
in Sharon in the 1800s
of the Churches in Sharon today
cherished pastor and spiritual adviser.
McCleery came, in regular succession, John T.
Smith, John T. Phillips, Harvey Brockett, Calvin Smith, Thomas Munnell, C.
C. Foot and Edwin Wakefield. These men, employed usually about a
year each, nurtured the congregation from the time the pastoral labors of
George McCleery ceased to the year 1857, when the records begin to be more
definite and authentic. Matthias Christy, H. D.
Carlton and Dr. Goodrich were then employed a portion of their time
for a year or so each. Their labors preserved the flock up to 1862. From
this date to 1870 meetings were suspended on account of the agitations of
the war, sickness, removals, apathy, etc. From July to October, 1870, John
T. Phillips preached every two weeks. In October of that year
William Baxter, of New Lisbon, Ohio, reorganized the congregation with
seventy-two members. Its
sustenance from the close of this meeting until April, 1871, was obtained
from supplies received from various quarters. In April, 1871, Orange
Higgins was employed, and remained as pastor four years. He was succeeded
by Peter Vogel, who continued one year. In
September, 1876, T. B. Knowles was secured,
and remained as pastor two years. For a year following the congregation
again depended upon supplies, John T. Phillips and
William Baxter being the chief reliance. In February, 1880, W.
F. Parker was employed, and continued to labor one year. In April,
1881, E. A. Bosworth was secured. He staid
three years. C. G. Brelos was in charge of
the work from February, 1885, to September, 1886; Resort was again had to
supplies until the summer of 1887. From that time to February, 1888, L.
Osborn, of Youngstown, preached every two weeks. During the month of
January, 1888, a protracted meeting was held by H.
B. Sherman, of Lock Haven, Penn. A. A.
McCorkle has been employed to take pastoral charge of the church,
commencing February 1, 1888. There have been many irregular preachers at
Sharon, preachers who have aided in protracted meetings and on special
occasions. Among these may be mentioned Isaac Errett,
William Hayden, A. S. Hayden, John Henry, Jonas Hartzell, B. A. Hinsdale,
Dr. W. A. Belding, Wesley Lanphear, J. Harrison Jones and H. B. Sherman.
The membership at present is about ninety.
of Mercer County, 1888, page 388-389